What gender of goose is best for us

wamtazlady

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 18, 2013
Kalispell MT
We've decided to get a couple geese. We want them to become watch geese as dogs are not an option for us. We have several acres of grassland for them to forage as the horses have been sold. We have no desire to breed the geese. Would it be best to get 2 males, 2 females, one of each, or doesn't it matter? We're hoping they will be an early warning system in case another fox comes into the area. Would also appreciate suggestions for possible breeds.

The sex of the geese doesn't really matter. Usually they are sold in pairs. If you don't want to breed just get rid of the eggs- they only lay in spring.

If you want to buy geese, stay away from toulouse, as some breeders birds have leg problems and don't move well.

If you have several acres you may be better off getting a whole flock, not just two. They would be better avoiding predators in a group.

Breed does not matter that much, but larger geese are more intimidating to predators. People always have free geese they are giving away, so take whatever you find. If you don't see advertisements go catch them at your local park.

Please do not buy geese as watch dogs. Sure they will alert you to predators but they will also alert you to sticks, songbirds flyin, planes, cars, bikes, etc. You'll be walking out every five minutes.

The loudest and most intimidating are usually Chinese and African, but they are fog horns.

Not only will they alert you to EVERYTHING that is suspicious (which is anything that moves because they are a prey animal) if there is an actual predator and you don't get there in time you'll have dead geese. They are BIRDS. They stand no chance against dogs, cats, foxes, raccoons, coyotes, etc.

And if you're looking for watch geese, I'm assuming you'll keep them out at night so they can keep an eye out? That's unacceptable. All poultry should be locked in a secure shelter that no predators can get into because, again, they are a bird.

So if you are only getting geese only to look after your other poultry, just don't get them. There are many other tools to ward off predators. Hot wire, predator lights, different scents that deter a specific animal, etc etc.

My geese sleep outside during the spring and summer months as alarm systems and sleep right beside the house so using geese as alarms isn't so bad.
But I would advise you that geese are usually scared of foxes and dogs so they might alert you but that could also be their last honk.
If you want them as alarms keep them close to the house as predators usually don't go close to the house.
I'd advise you to get white Chinese geese and not Africans as Africans are expensive and are heavy and will be too slow to run away while Chinese geese are cable.
Just to let you know Guineafowl are the best alarms and they can easily sleep outside as they can fly well and roost on houses or trees
1f44d.png

Indeed Carrosaur ;)
I think wamtazlady should look at Guineas before geese.
Boy are they loud especially if you have a bunch of them!
Guineas are my main alarms for foxes for all my animals and I allow them go in the field as they are alert 24/7 and fly homeonce something strange is about.
So Wamtazlady did you look into Guineafowl?

"But I would advise you that geese are usually scared of foxes and dogs so they might alert you but that could also be their last honk."

I have no idea where this misconception came from that geese can protect other flock members. How? they have no teeth and just like the quote here they may honk but it could very well be their last honk.

"But I would advise you that geese are usually scared of foxes and dogs so they might alert you but that could also be their last honk."

I have no idea where this misconception came from that geese can protect other flock members. How? they have no teeth and just like the quote  here  they may honk but it could very well be their last honk.

Exactly! They're birds, no birds can fight off predators. Except maybe birds of prey

You do have geese that would charge at dogs foxes etc. but they don't know the dangers of a fox..... Yet.
A gander would protect his flock but like I said he doesn't know the dangers of what the predator is going to do and will likely not defend the flock if he gets attacked and injured ;)
Just another fact is usually geese that are used to be alarms and are used for "protection" are trained to be aggressive and to attack things as that's the job they have to do.
A tame goose will honk but won't attack or scare because he isn't trained to be so.

Back
Top Bottom