What Gives?

Crafty-Duck

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
Lucky Duck Pond
I have two laying hens right now one RIR and one Buff Orpington.The RIR started laying a few weeks before the Buff but my RIR hasn't been laying very well at all
hmm.png
they have been laying for a few months now and my
Buff lays way more then the RIR does what gives? she goes in the nest box everyday and sits for a long while then jumps out but no eggs.She also lays a lot of soft eggs too I don't give layer feed because I have a male duck I don't want eating it but I do have oyster shell and egg shells out at all times any ideas what could be wrong??? or will it just take time for her to work it out because she is a new layer?

Hopefully giving her more time will help. Young layers take a while to get in the groove.....so to speak. I think the layer feed is important if getting eggs matters to you. Is there any way you can provide it to her.....and keep the duck away?? May be worth it if you can. Good luck!

UPDATE..........

Ruby lays in the nest boxes for awhile everyday but she doesn't lay! 5 days now and no eggs. I have been giving her layer feed everyday now and she still has free choice egg shells and oyster shells.

I know they slow down in the colder months but is it normal for them to sit in the nest boxes like they have to lay an egg but they don't?

Can it be that she is laying elsewhere (like in the bush )? My Black Maran would try that. She will sit in the nest box and then leave and comeback and repeat. Anyway, I end up finding some eggs in the bush

Can it be that she is laying elsewhere (like in the bush )? My Black Maran would try that. She will sit in the nest box and then leave and comeback and repeat. Anyway, I end up finding some eggs in the bush
I don't think so (not many places to hide in the run) but I will look around!!!

She finally layed an egg! after 9 days of not laying! it was soft though and today she layed a solid one! had some calcium speckles on top but it was solid
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom