What goes around comes around?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Mahonri, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    As many of you know I lost three hens the first part of July... previous to that I had given away some of my hens because a family in the neighborhood to the south of us lost some of theirs to dogs. I'm a variety kind of guy and I was really missing my partridge rock, my RIR and my Barred Rock.

So Tuesday a patient I hadn't seen in some time calls (I saw his daughter a couple of months ago)... he says that back in April they got a couple of baby chicks and had raised them in their house. He loved them so but his wife said she was going to make dinner out of them so his daughter told him that I have chickens in my back yard and that I would take them. When he said pullets getting ready to lay soon, I said SURE!!

Well he shows up at quitting time with a big cardboard box with holes and inside are two of the most beautiful pullets... 1 RIR and 1 Barred Rock... the most gentle, loving, house raised birds you could ever imagine.

So I put them in the coop with a couple of others their age so that all of the attention wouldn't be on them and now I go out in the morning to make certain that they can eat and drink without getting picked on. They just let me walk over and pick them up, they are amazing.

What a blessing from the Lord and hopefully they'll be laying eggs soon!

Pics this weekend!

2. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    That's a great story. You are very lucky. Hope you have eggs soon.

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Of all of the chickens that I've hatched and raised, I only have one that will let me pick her up. How fortunate that you managed to get two girls so tame! [​IMG]

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Yep, good things happen to good people.

5. sweet tweets

sweet tweets Chirping

Jul 3, 2009
    Kool!
    [​IMG]

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap

I am noticing that you did NOT follow the quantine period HIGHLY recommended for all new birds!!!! Dude you know better than that. Another much loved member had to put down his whole flock because he igonored that rule.

I hope and pray that does not happen to you.....

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thats sweet Mahonri. It sounds like it was meant to be.. [​IMG] Congrats on your new additions.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Deb, you are correct, I didn't follow the rule. They just looked so very healthy... in fact they are healthier than my own birds... probably because they have spent their entire life, indoors out of the 110+ heat.

I looked them over from head to toe... I wish my birds looked that healthy.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  9. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Songster

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    [​IMG] ..a blessing indeed. Congatulations!

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    WOW! That is a rare find to have something BETTER than us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: