What goes in the bottom of the nesting box?

I'll get some pics of mine later, I use straw. It works really good and I've recently got new birds which have started laying. They love it! My nesting boxes are connected to the coop but outside. We have a small lip connected to all of the boxes that is also a chicken door. This is really confusing but when I get the pics you will understand. The lip us around 4 inches. So I hope yours works, good luck! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions!
The lip to the nesting boxes is now 4" and that seems to have stopped the pine shavings from being thrown all about. (Or else our the pullet currently laying has quit tossing it about!)
-Jerie

I have the same issue, but my chickens who have started laying don't seem to kick as much straw out. Have had 2 cracked eggs so far from it hitting the hard surface, had the cracked egg in my hand without realizing it was cracked... My finger went right through it. Every morning I refill the straw in the 5 nesting boxes we have, every nesting box is immediately filled with chickens frantically emptying the boxes, while the chickens on the ground pull the straw that is hanging over. They do it like it is a chore, I don't mind because it's funny.

Vermont-
That has got to be pretty funny! With the added height to the lip- neither laying pullet (even the brand new layer) has kicked any pine shavings out. I don't hear the egg hit the floor of the nesting boxes anymore.
Enjoy your girls!
-Jerie

We had a problem with the eggs breaking. I think this was due to the chickens being new layers and the hard wooden floor of the nesting box. The egg shells have become more dense now, but before then we used some left over carpet.

We cut them into squares using a box cutter and placed them in the bottom of the nesting boxes. It worked really well. No cracked egg since.

Vermont-
That has got to be pretty funny! With the added height to the lip- neither laying pullet (even the brand new layer) has kicked any pine shavings out. I don't hear the egg hit the floor of the nesting boxes anymore.
Enjoy your girls!
-Jerie
I increased the height of the nesting boxes immediately after installing them, they kicked it out in about 20 seconds flat, it has decreased the amount of straw being scratched out, but the straw tangles into balls and falls out in a few pieces. I will be using wood shavings next, completely out though.

I (and my hens) love wood shavings in the boxes... Anything but cedar! I was using pine shavings because they are easily and cheaply available at feed stores but am using oak shavings right now from all the fire wood we have been cutting for winter... It's nice and soft and comfy... And smells nice too. :)

Back
Top Bottom