What goes screech at night??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jeaucamom, May 6, 2008.

1. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    We just moved here 2 months ago. And we have been hearing what we call a "banshee" when we go out to close up the coop. We have only heard it a handful of times, but tonight it is really going. Jessica thought it was a rabbit in the field being killed. I thought it was a peacock, but my kids who have them at their Dad's house say no. Maybe an owl? I don't think it is a mountian lion because it doesn't sound like a woman screaming. Any ideas as to what else screeches at night? We are in the Sierra Nevadas, western side, in Grass Valley, elevation 2400 if that helps.

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I had this happen a few years ago. I called the forestry service and made the sound. He said "yup, you just did a perfect bobcat". So a few nights later I finally saw it. A perfect FOX (seriously) screaching in the back yard.

3. babyboy1_mom

babyboy1_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Louisiana
    Sounds like a screech owl to me. They are very loud and would love to get your chickens.

Dorothy

4. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Well neighbor, you have just met Liz's pet bobcat. You will need to secure your birds at night, if not you will lose them.

5. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Panner, you are just the person I was hoping to hear from. We are very near Liz on the other side of 49. Does a bobcat screech? And does it only do it at night? Are they a threat to people??

6. peruvian_princess

peruvian_princess Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Yeah I have heard that bobcats sound like a screeming woman. My father used to hunt alot and told me lots of stories.

7. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    We heard a weird screeching one night, so my daughter went and got one of our rechargeable spotlights. We were expecting a screech owl or something else, but it was a Racoon!

So I guess there are a lot of things out there that make odd sounds in the night (at least to this ex-city boy).[​IMG]

YMMV

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:They are only a threat to small children. Any pet smaller than a goat
    we be dinner. Most of the time they will run if any person is seen or heard. If they become a real problem you can get a state trapper to come out and solve the problem. If they give you a hard time let me know, I have the means to handle them. Neither the state or I relocate, we eliminate. Will gladly give you all the help I can.

9. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I heard a bobcat kill a rabbit one night outside our family's summer home in Maine. Most awful thing I ever heard. Sounded like a banshee was killing a small child. I was only about 10 years old. Didn't sleep well for days. Been 40 years and I would still recognize that sound.

My father went outside with a flashlight and found the tracks and bits of hair. No doubt about what it was but it still didn't reassure me. Was like a creature from hell outside my window.

10. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    juvenile Great Horned Owl has a loud screech.. also could be a fox the screech like that also..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by