What got in my coop

youtubeminer

Chirping
Jul 1, 2015
For two day something has stealing our chicken food so I went to see some hole and I founded something a holee dug under the run
and I think it's a raccoon and if it is why didn't it killed my six chickens?

Oh the rooster he passed away from a coyate but today I blocked a hole and put a camera and it was a raccoon that dug the hole and got the feed but I'm still wondering why did the raccoon didn't kill our chickens

I'm sorry about your rooster. Coyotes need to eat as well, and usually, they end up killing your chickens. Anyway, not all raccoons are interested in eating chickens. This one may have been young, hand-raised, or too old to chase and catch your chickens. When there was easier food to be found, it chose the one that wouldn't run away, the feed. Anyway, if your coop is now secure, you should be okay. You can add electric fencing if you get the okay from your parents, I'm assuming you are a minor as you mentioned your father in your other post, but please don't take offense if you are not, I am not judging. Electric fencing isn't foolproof, but what is? Anyway, good luck with your chickens.

I'm sorry about your rooster. Coyotes need to eat as well, and usually, they end up killing your chickens. Anyway, not all raccoons are interested in eating chickens. This one may have been young, hand-raised, or too old to chase and catch your chickens. When there was easier food to be found, it chose the one that wouldn't run away, the feed. Anyway, if your coop is now secure, you should be okay. You can add electric fencing if you get the okay from your parents, I'm assuming you are a minor as you mentioned your father in your other post, but please don't take offense if you are not, I am not judging. Electric fencing isn't foolproof, but what is? Anyway, good luck with your chickens.

Haven't meet a raccoon yet that isn't interested in chickens.

I agree with Leafblade. Raccoons, like most predators, are creatures of opportunity. They will often take the food that is easiest to get and where they don’t have to spend too much energy or take chances on injury. Chicken feed is a real easy target. Sometimes they will eat eggs instead of taking a chicken.

That doesn’t mean that on the next trip it would not get your chickens instead of taking the food or eggs. They are unpredictable.

Your best defense is to build something they can’t get into. I’d suggest you install an apron to stop digging predators. Do you know what I mean by an apron?

Update: Every time the attack happen a is when it's day because in morning at 7:00 the coop is fine then 2:00 the crate is every where so my dad helped me block the run and there's a little hole like a 5 cm or 3 cm and I'm wonder if the raccoon can get in the coop with the little hole and I'm asking this does motion light scare off raccoons and other predators?

I agree with Leafblade. Raccoons, like most predators, are creatures of opportunity. They will often take the food that is easiest to get and where they don’t have to spend too much energy or take chances on injury. Chicken feed is a real easy target. Sometimes they will eat eggs instead of taking a chicken.

That doesn’t mean that on the next trip it would not get your chickens instead of taking the food or eggs. They are unpredictable.

Your best defense is to build something they can’t get into. I’d suggest you install an apron to stop digging predators. Do you know what I mean by an apron?
Oh really? Because the rooster is around 5 or 7 feet high

Why do you assume a raccoon? Any animal, rat, gopher, hedgehog, skunk, weasel, etc. could have easily made a hole. I suggest hardware cloth. Oh, and how is your rooster, the one who swallowed the sock?
We only saw foxes and raccoons that's the only predator that I saw and I can't buy a. Trap but can I make one?

Back
Top Bottom