What got my babies??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Princess Poppycock, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    I'm so broken hearted. I noticed the girls were extemely quiet and not their normal selves, and my son had commented that out of 4 layers (9 birds in total), none had produced and egg! So I went and checked on them (they were outside the coop, freeranging) and thought I'd double check to see if someone just wasn't hitting the nest. The coop has a small, closet like area in it, and in here I found Maude, a beautiful Barred Rock and our first layer, and my precious Roo named C-Diddy. I didn't even want a rooster! It was an accident. But he was such a sweetie and my baby... I just can't believe he's gone. [​IMG]

My question is, what happened? What might have gotten them? The coop is closed up, but there were areas (notice I said "were") up high that were open. I looked them over as much as my heart would let me, and I saw no puncture marks. Maude's neck was broken. If something got it and it dragged them oer there, wouldn't I see evidence of teeth? And the birds weren't eaten at all. I can't help but wonder if something happened to Maude and C-Diddy died of fright. I just don't understand.

I'll obviously never know for sure, but if anyone has any ideas at all, I would appreciate you sharing them with me.

I've been reading for a while. I just wish my first post wasn't such a sad one.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    [​IMG] Sorry for your loss. I think your on the right track, something might have grabed them and couldnt get them through the hole. Or got interupted while doing it and ran off. Hope the rest are all safe now.

3. roosters4sale

roosters4sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    missouri
    Hi, princess. If you have any spaces in your roost or nest area that isnt covered by chicken wire or rabbit wire (hardware cloth they say now) weasels will get in. They can get in spaces just like a mouse or cat can. They flatten their body to get in unimagiable places, but, other animals like raccoons have this ability. The reason I'm sure it's a weasel is, beacause, weasels don't eat the chicken. Weasels are the little vampires of the animal world. When a weasel gets in they break the neck and suck as much blood out as they can. The big problem with this is it doesn't make them full and they will go to the next chicken and do the same. There are many types of weasels , martin, mink, sable, and ermine. And lets say you live in the city, if ,there is any ferrets that have been let loose in town they can do the same. Thanks.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Welcome. So, so sorry for your losses. It could have been a couple of things. Weasel, coon (trying to pull one thru). I would get 1/2 inch hardware cloth and cover any opening you see. Unfortunately, whatever it was, will come back. Again, so sorry.

5. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Princess, So sorry about your loss. Chickens are such easy prey for a variety of predators. If it had been a weasel there would be blood and puncture wounds on the neck area and they sometimes eat a little meat on the necks too. From your description the hen may have broken her neck in a panic to escape whatever had gotten into the coop. Like the other post suggested be sure to seal up any and all openings with "hardware" cloth as a raccoon can chew through regular chicken wire.

6. Bat Cave Silkies

Bat Cave Silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Bat Cave, NC
    First~~I'm so sorry for your loss

Secondly~~from what you've described, it sounds like a snake attack. You've been missing eggs? snakes swallow them. Dead adults but no signs of blood? snakes will constrict an adult which results in death, but no blood, and the adult is obviously too big to swallow.
    Hardware cloth is the only deterrent I've found to snakes

7. Princess Poppycock

Princess Poppycock Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Thank you everyone. We are taking extra precautions including sealing up the coop and, at least for now, bringing the girls inside at night. I spent some extra time with my roo the night before, holding him and just loving on him... I'm so glad I did. He will be missed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by