What got my rooster? (Picture included…. Tough to see..)

Janellyn

In the Brooder
Jan 13, 2022
Something happened during the day yesterday. I went to collect eggs and I see my rooster covered in blood on his neck and feathers missing. I don’t see an open would it is just red. There is no blood anywhere else that I can see in the coop, on the run, on other chickens…. Just on him. I went today and got some spray (medicine) for his neck-and he is walking and crowing like nothing ever happened. The rooster and hens are going on like business as usual.

Any thoughts? Weasel? Raccoon?

thank you! I’m a first time/winter chicken owner.

Attachments

• B3A53A21-A885-4C2D-8EED-9C6335E744DC.jpeg
    B3A53A21-A885-4C2D-8EED-9C6335E744DC.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 21
Would he be missing feathers from that? We have a heater in the coop for the really cold nights but they are out of the wind and snow..

the hens will peck the feathers out and the roos will stand there and let them. I have seen that before. Wash the blood off so their not attracted to it.

The blood would matte down feathers in contact of it. Plus he could have tried to clean it by ripping the feathers out.
Ahhh. My poor guy. I put in a heater for the cold nights.. I wonder if it created too much moisture.
ok, ideas on how to treat it?
thank you for your help.

Put him in a warmer area with air flow. Clean his wattle carefully with warm wet cloth, dry it off and layer neosporin on the wound. Do that for a couple of days. It should heal up quick.

Are you using some kind of radiant heating. When you create heat in a cold enclosed space. The difference between temperature creates a huge amount of humidity which needs to be vented out.

Back
Top Bottom