What got my Turkey? Picked him clean....

What killed my Turkey?

• Total voters
Hopefully this is the last post on this thread - I was getting frustrated, have been keeping the birds in their outdoor coop during the day, penned up, today was the fifth or sixth day. I figured the predator would get bold and have to come closer - he'd been getting a bird about every 3rd or 4th day. So he was hungry.

I set up about 100yards downwind of the chicken coop this afternoon, back in the woods where the predator has been leaving trails of bloody feathers. Coyote appeared right at twilight. He was actually about to cross the creek, headed up towards the coop. I don't think it was just a coincidence.

The .270 went KA-BOOOOOM!!!!!! Coyote dropped like a sack of potatoes. He looked very well fed. I think this was the one.

Will let my restless birds back out tomorrow, and hopefully there are brighter days ahead! I lost six chickens total I think, plus Bouncy Boopie.

Hopefully this was the end <knocks on wood> of the worst string of predator attacks on my birds, but if things keep happening, I will just repeat the process.

Hopefully this is the last post on this thread - I was getting frustrated, have been keeping the birds in their outdoor coop during the day, penned up, today was the fifth or sixth day. I figured the predator would get bold and have to come closer - he'd been getting a bird about every 3rd or 4th day. So he was hungry.

I set up about 100yards downwind of the chicken coop this afternoon, back in the woods where the predator has been leaving trails of bloody feathers. Coyote appeared right at twilight. He was actually about to cross the creek, headed up towards the coop. I don't think it was just a coincidence.

The .270 went KA-BOOOOOM!!!!!! Coyote dropped like a sack of potatoes. He looked very well fed. I think this was the one.

Will let my restless birds back out tomorrow, and hopefully there are brighter days ahead! I lost six chickens total I think, plus Bouncy Boopie.

Hopefully this was the end <knocks on wood> of the worst string of predator attacks on my birds, but if things keep happening, I will just repeat the process.
Glad to know you eliminated it. I know your surviving birds will be happy to get out again.

I imagine since there haven't been any recent posts you killed the one that was killing them all. I'm glad to know the remainder of your flock are doing fine!I added a few more birds to my flock and plan on free ranging some come spring (inside an electric fence)I refuse to free range without a fence.I'd have more losses than birds in a week.

Back
Top Bottom