What grain are safe to feed sheep

incubatorchick

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 19, 2013
What types of grains are best for sheep. I would like to make my own grain mix for them to get some weight on them. If anyone has a good mix let me know or if you just make a list of grains that would be perfect. I feed mine mostly on pasture and hay but was wanting to add to their diet.

What types of grains are best for sheep. I would like to make my own grain mix for them to get some weight on them. If anyone has a good mix let me know or if you just make a list of grains that would be perfect. I feed mine mostly on pasture and hay but was wanting to add to their diet.
Any grain is fine for sheep. Corn and barley have the most energy. Personally, I like a mix of corn, oats, and barley. Go slow when introducing grain to animals that are not used to it. Too little is better than too much.

Just bought rolled barley at the feed store or mill. For a while I mixed my own feed. Later I found a small mill that would custom mix feed for me. When I had just a few animals I just bought COB. COB stands for corn, oats, and barley.

Back
Top Bottom