What greens do you grow to feed your chickens?

There is a thread about sprouting fodder, I think it was @gtaus . It is quite entertaining! He made a tower with dish pans and hid it in the extra bathroom from his wife. He really had it figured out!

@Sequel, Thanks for the shout out. @Ms Kurtis, I live in northern Minnesota and as such have about 6 months out of the year that we don't have any fresh greens growing outside. Last winter I grew barley fodder in our second bathroom using an inexpensive fodder tower system. The article I wrote is called My $10 Inexpensive DIY Fodder Tower with Dollar Tree Dish Bins

I also started a thread on my attempt to hide the fodder growing system in the second bathroom from my wife. Don't tell the wife, I'm growing fodder in the 2nd bathroom!

In both the article and thread, there are some great comments about growing fresh fodder greens for your birds in the winter. The fodder tower system I use takes less than 5 minutes per day and I have enough green grass fodder for at least half a dollar tree dish bin each day for my 10 chickens. It's the only greens they get for about 6 months out of the year. They seem to appreciate my effort so I am growing fodder again this winter.

Just want to add that I only propose feeding fodder as a supplement and not as a replacement for a balanced commercial feed. I keep a commercial feed hopper available to my hens 24/7, but given a choice, they prefer to eat fresh green fodder.

i think they like just about anything you can grow lol, radish green, turnip green, collard, kale .. i big hit with mine that kindof surprised me coz they can be pretty hot raw is mustard .. i can toss them each one of those big leaves and they tear them up down to the stem lol ... note the ankle-high electric wire, a necessity if they free roam .. yeah they know what that is lol ...

Attachments

• CIMG8686.JPG
    CIMG8686.JPG
    746.7 KB · Views: 5
There is a wild version of this that grow ALL OVER around me. I used to hate the stuff. Then I found out the chickens love it. I think it's not bad when the leaves are young. Looking forward to next spring when it grows again.

Who am I kidding? I'm just looking forward to next spring...
Oh, I see. It grows in the wild. Yes, I too am looking forward to the change of years...

Back
Top Bottom