What Grows Quick???

LavyOrps

Chirping
May 23, 2021
Unfortunately my chickens have a yard they must stay in. We live off the highway and I would never want risk them running into the road. That being said.... they have pecked their yard dry of foliage.

I want to start growing plants off the side to put in with them to peck at, but I don’t want to have to wait a ling period of time for it to start growing. Any ideas on a seed that would be good to start in a container to give to them? I was thinking buck wheat..... but not sure.

All the weeds on the rest of my property end up in the chicken pen when I pull them. False Dandelion and Pigweed are the most troublesome. :D

I don't use grazing frames, but you might want to look into them. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/grazing-frames.73645/
That is exactly what I need! I will make a couple. I always throw all of our weeds in with mine as well, so they are getting a decent bit of feshness.... as well as heads of lettuce on occasion!

I really think buckwheat is what I will go with. It would work perfectly with these grazing frames. It self seeds and comes back so quick. Thanks for your suggestion.

Where are you located (Growing Zone)? That can make a difference. Also, how you prepare the area you are wanting to plant in can be important as far as how quickly things germinate and grow.

Good luck and all the best.

Back
Top Bottom