What gun should I get

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by horsejody, Nov 14, 2008.

1. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I already have a number of rifles. I just got my handgun permit. I figured it was about time since the "new world order" government coming into to power may make it more difficult in the near future. DH is going to get me a new handgun for Christmas. What kind should I get. I would like to keep it handy near the front door for use in dispatching my neighbor's dogs if they get loose again. Don't worry, I have no young children in the house to worry about getting hold of it.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  2. redhead83402

redhead83402 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Idaho
    Have you ever used a handgun? they have a LOT of kick! I guess I like a little rifle myself. Seems easier to get a bead on, & aim accurately without all the kick. I pretty much suck at aiming guns with a kick. But I am largely a woos, too. :-D I have to admit I mainly enjoy target practice, rather than actual shooting of live objects. I have lots of family & friends who hunt, & are good at it, & I can kill a chicken or a pig or a cow, but that's easier to me than shooting something. Probably just some strange inner objection to the whole ~death-by-shooting~ thing. It's not like I haven't gone hunting, & eaten the meat. Yup, just a woos. lol.
    So basically, I have no suggestions, & am just rambling on on your post ~ sorry ~;-D Good luck with your search, I hope you find one with very little kick, lol. :-D
    ~Red

3. My I suggest that you use this forum. They will help you find what you are looking for. I am on this forum and have found it very uesful. They are a nice, freindly and polite bunch.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com

You should go to the shooters forum. register, login and start a thread. you will learn more there than anywhere I could think of.

Administors. This is a link to NON chicken forums.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
  4. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Yes, I have. I am not afraid of guns. I used to be in the Marines.

5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

357 mag ,,, but dont keep near door,, is VERY easy for an intruder to get to.

6. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    my husband got me a glock 9mm short stock concealed carry size pistol. i love it. it is really small, and it definately packs a punch. it is the concealed carry version of his pistol his department issued to him. if its good enough for a cop, its good enough for me! i shot a dog that had been on my place one too many times with it, no problem. but i do not recommend it for close contact shooting (i had to put down a barn cat) it is so powerful, it will cause splatter. good luck, and i am proud to know another woman who will take charge if need be!

7. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the shorter the barrel, the less accurate they are at any real distance.
    thats why his barrel is longer [​IMG]

8. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Ok since you were in the Marines and obviously know all about guns I'm not going to be afraid to tell you that you should get a 1911. Now if you want it for concealed carry, I like the glock 26 although it's a little fat.

I have very small (fat) hands and I still love my 1911's. I have about 3 1911's form Sig to Kimber. several glocks, several revolvers and of those I like the 1911's best.

Might I suggest a Sigarms RCS. It's has an officer frame with a commander slide but it's thin and I believe it's dehorned so it doesn't snag on stuff, plus night sights.

The major thing I like about these is I have great control and accuracy with them

Nice you are getting a gun for Christmas. My husband says that nothing says love like a gun. [​IMG]

9. Royicus

Royicus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    Western Oregon
    The best answer is - The gun you shoot the best with.

The caliber matters not if it is one of the known "man stoppers." 9mm, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, .357 sig, .357 magnum... there are more.

Different guns have different amounts of kick. A .22 doesn't have much, a .44 magnum has quite a bit. Then there are a ton in the middle.

Silkiechicken has a 9mm Springfield XD subcompact that is her primary gun (though it is my gun).

I shoot a Springfield XD 45 compact, which is my primary gun.

If this is for an inside the house gun, I'd say get as much gun as you can. There is no issue of concealment, so a full size makes sense. Then pick a good caliber and a model that feels good to you (grip, grip angle, safety, sights, looks, etc) and you'll be good to go. Talk to friends to see if you can shoot their guns, go to a range that rents them... Try before you buy!

edit: Barrel length matters somewhat. The advantage of a shorter barrel is that it is easier to conceal. That's about it. A longer barrel is more accurate due to the longer sight radius (the distance between the front and rear sight), and the longer barrel allows more powder to burn, which leads to faster muzzle velocity. The speed of a .45 out of a 3" barrel is slower then out of a 5" barrel.

10. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    What type of long arm would you get if you were interested in very occasional deer hunting?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by