What gun should I get

horsejody

Squeaky Wheel
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
Waterloo, Nebraska
I already have a number of rifles. I just got my handgun permit. I figured it was about time since the "new world order" government coming into to power may make it more difficult in the near future. DH is going to get me a new handgun for Christmas. What kind should I get. I would like to keep it handy near the front door for use in dispatching my neighbor's dogs if they get loose again. Don't worry, I have no young children in the house to worry about getting hold of it.

Last edited:
Have you ever used a handgun? they have a LOT of kick! I guess I like a little rifle myself. Seems easier to get a bead on, & aim accurately without all the kick. I pretty much suck at aiming guns with a kick. But I am largely a woos, too. :-D I have to admit I mainly enjoy target practice, rather than actual shooting of live objects. I have lots of family & friends who hunt, & are good at it, & I can kill a chicken or a pig or a cow, but that's easier to me than shooting something. Probably just some strange inner objection to the whole ~death-by-shooting~ thing. It's not like I haven't gone hunting, & eaten the meat. Yup, just a woos. lol.
So basically, I have no suggestions, & am just rambling on on your post ~ sorry ~;-D Good luck with your search, I hope you find one with very little kick, lol. :-D
~Red

My I suggest that you use this forum. They will help you find what you are looking for. I am on this forum and have found it very uesful. They are a nice, freindly and polite bunch.

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com

You should go to the shooters forum. register, login and start a thread. you will learn more there than anywhere I could think of.

Administors. This is a link to NON chicken forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
my husband got me a glock 9mm short stock concealed carry size pistol. i love it. it is really small, and it definately packs a punch. it is the concealed carry version of his pistol his department issued to him. if its good enough for a cop, its good enough for me! i shot a dog that had been on my place one too many times with it, no problem. but i do not recommend it for close contact shooting (i had to put down a barn cat) it is so powerful, it will cause splatter. good luck, and i am proud to know another woman who will take charge if need be!

the shorter the barrel, the less accurate they are at any real distance.
thats why his barrel is longer
wink.png

Ok since you were in the Marines and obviously know all about guns I'm not going to be afraid to tell you that you should get a 1911. Now if you want it for concealed carry, I like the glock 26 although it's a little fat.

I have very small (fat) hands and I still love my 1911's. I have about 3 1911's form Sig to Kimber. several glocks, several revolvers and of those I like the 1911's best.

Might I suggest a Sigarms RCS. It's has an officer frame with a commander slide but it's thin and I believe it's dehorned so it doesn't snag on stuff, plus night sights.

The major thing I like about these is I have great control and accuracy with them

Nice you are getting a gun for Christmas. My husband says that nothing says love like a gun.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
The best answer is - The gun you shoot the best with.

The caliber matters not if it is one of the known "man stoppers." 9mm, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, .357 sig, .357 magnum... there are more.

Different guns have different amounts of kick. A .22 doesn't have much, a .44 magnum has quite a bit. Then there are a ton in the middle.

Silkiechicken has a 9mm Springfield XD subcompact that is her primary gun (though it is my gun).

I shoot a Springfield XD 45 compact, which is my primary gun.

If this is for an inside the house gun, I'd say get as much gun as you can. There is no issue of concealment, so a full size makes sense. Then pick a good caliber and a model that feels good to you (grip, grip angle, safety, sights, looks, etc) and you'll be good to go. Talk to friends to see if you can shoot their guns, go to a range that rents them... Try before you buy!

edit: Barrel length matters somewhat. The advantage of a shorter barrel is that it is easier to conceal. That's about it. A longer barrel is more accurate due to the longer sight radius (the distance between the front and rear sight), and the longer barrel allows more powder to burn, which leads to faster muzzle velocity. The speed of a .45 out of a 3" barrel is slower then out of a 5" barrel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom