What happend to my Quail??

gabrielle1976

Crowing
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
Columbia river gorge
Last night when I went to check my quails food and water and check for eggs, I saw a quail with blood on her , so I picked her up and looked at her and she had blood from her nostrels all the way down her chest. I but her in a box with some food and water and let her rest she seemed really tired but wasnt activly bleeding that I could see . Today she seems more alert but she wont eat becuase part of her beak is messed up now, I put some of her food in hot water and let it get all soft and mushy and put it in there for her, but im not sure how to get her to eat when its obviously really painfull atm. Can she go a day or two without eating till the beak heals a little bit and isnt as tender, Anyone have this happen to one of there birds, I have seen girls plucked bald by males , males scalped by girls and the occasional ripped toenail but never anything like this , any ideas on how it happend. there arnt any edges or anything in there cage, did another quail do it to her?
You can see how her top beak is messed up, She wont let me touch her face but I think the blood came from there not 100% positive though.
Any ideas? I know it wont kill her as the factory farms cut even more of there birds but Im just so shocked that it happend and is that enough reason for all that blood.

Looks like she got hit by another quail (possibly male, he tried to mate her and she said no so he hit her), also her beak at the end is a little chipped. If you have another cage put her there (keep the cage near the other cage where the rest are, they might make up), i had the exact same thing happen. I didn't have another cage so i kept her in the same one (washes off the blood and what not) (if you can't wash off blood in one day, do it over a period of time like i do/did), she stayed in the corner didn't eat or drink much, (feed her some soft food, cause cracked beak, also she will be more happy and active if you do), she should come around like mine did. Now she beats up the males, haha.

One of my quail had a bad beak injury, it was bleeding and broken. I just gave her seed mix to eat, as it's small and easier to digest. The quail's beak doesn't look badly injured, as chipped beaks is a common thing to happen, but the pain in her mouth is what's preventing her from eating, in my opinion. Try and find the source of the blood (if she allows you too), and clean it up with a warm, damp cloth. It looks like to me, the blood is coming from the corners of her mouth and below her nose.

When one of my other quail had a bit of a bloody injury, I looked at the other quail and found traces of blood splattered on his feathers, which gave me enough evidence as to who did it. Other times, it's not so easy. Look inside the cage and observe the quails and the cage itself. How many quails do you have?

If she's got enough fat, she could last a few days with a little less food, but try your best to make her eat and drink, if you can.

Beaks take a while to grow back, my quail took at least a month for her beak to recover.

Before A month later...

Last edited:
Thank you.
One of the other girls had blood splatters on her and so did the waterer for some reason. I have her isolated. she will let me hold her but freaks if I try to touch her face or beak . I will contenue trying to get her to eat , she is a chubby girl so hopefully she will be ok . I have four girls in with one boy. and two boys in there own bacholar pad. I think they have enough room. But they have been wierd lately makeing strange noises that almost sounds like tree frogs of all things
hu.gif

Haha, I have an isolated female, she makes this kind of froggy/cricket noise. It means she wants to mate, apparently. So I brought in one of my crowing males who she replies to all the time, heh, she was scared of him. :p

It could be from one of the other females, if there is blood splatter on her. I had a trio (two females, and a male). The male chose to mate one of the females, but the other female (the one with the damaged beak) refused to let him mate her. So the male would annoy and abuse her until she gave in. Later on, my chubbier female (passed away) started to pick on her, no idea why though. But it never caused any bloodshed.

Anywho,

Maybe, after she got injured, she went to get a drink or something and stained some of her blood on the waterer?
Oh well.
Hope her wounds heal up quickly!

That's what happened to my quail! The female pecked his beak, hard, and it just chipped off! What should I do? :/:/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom