What happened? Chick was fine hours ago

Rachelle Elaine

Songster
Mar 28, 2021
Castroville, Texas (San Antonio)
The chick pipped yesterday around 9-11am. All good today, i checked in one more time around 230pm and the break was poking through. Mama still sitting on it.
I checked back in around 6:00 p.m. and the egg has crushed and the chick doesn't seem to be moving I took off some of the shell and it was stuck to different parts of the chick like it had dried on there. It was under mom so my guess is that maybe Mom crushed the egg? I took pictures because there's a spot that looks red and bloated kind of on the underside. I didn't know if maybe it wasn't quite ready to come out and then the crushing just did it in I don't know.
So bummed the poor little guy was doing so well this morning. I read multiple threads about helping and not helping after pipping and went to intervene but I couldn't really find anything I was comfortable with since it seems people are on both sides of that fence in their arguments. I figured I'd let Mom do all the heavy lifting and she would know best.

PXL_20220801_005510793.jpg
PXL_20220801_005456923.jpg
PXL_20220731_163309929.PORTRAIT.jpg

Poor little guy, don't feel bad though it just happens sometimes. You said he got crushed so that probably did it. The red you were talking about is probably something that didn't get absorbed.

Back
Top Bottom