What happened here?! (Graphic)

Agsgranik

Chirping
Jul 29, 2020
San Antonio, TX
This chicken seemed fine this morning when I left for work. Just got home to this? I’m fairly new to chickens and I’m at a loss.
CCA12EBB-E785-4AD6-AE31-94157E4E2AAA.jpeg

Yes, it’s her intestine. Nothing sharp in the coop or run. We do have a rooster but I’ve never seen him be aggressive
Does the run have a covering? It's possible she was gashed by an aerial predator like a hawk, and the roo chased it off.

It unfortunately seems more likely that she was injured and the roo/other hens attacked her, however.

Also, I hate to ask this of you, but can you see where the intestines are coming out? Is it a hole in her abdomen, or is it through her vent? If it's a hole in her abdomen, it's likely that she had a hernia that ruptured and resulted in eviscerated intestines. There isn't much that can be done, and shock of the injury itself will often kill the bird even if the other chickens don't attack her. If the intestines came from her vent, she had a cloacal prolapse and the other chickens likely attacked her until it resulted in what you see here.

Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do in both cases. Prolapses can be treated if they're found quickly enough, but intestinal evisceration is fatal without emergency surgery.

Last edited:
Does the run have a covering? It's possible she was gashed by an aerial predator like a hawk, and the roo chased it off.

It unfortunately seems more likely that she was injured and the roo/other hens attacked her, however.

Also, I hate to ask this of you, but can you see where the intestines are coming out? Is it a hole in her abdomen, or is it through her vent? If it's a hole in her abdomen, it's likely that she had a hernia that ruptured and resulted in eviscerated intestines. There isn't much that can be done, and shock of the injury itself will often kill the bird even if the other chickens don't attack her. If the intestines came from her vent, she had a cloacal prolapse and the other chickens likely attacked her until it resulted in what you see here.

Unfortunately there really isn't much you can do in both cases. Prolapses can be treated if they're found quickly enough, but intestinal evisceration is fatal without emergency surgery.
Thanks. I didn’t inspect the area too closely, but one of those two scenarios seems likely. The run is covered and pretty much predator proof I think.

Thanks. I didn’t inspect the area too closely, but one of those two scenarios seems likely. The run is covered and pretty much predator proof I think.
It was most likely a hernia then. There doesn't seem to be enough blood to suggest that she was attacked by the other hens severely enough to cause her injuries.

Back
Top Bottom