What happened in my coop?

594chickens

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2018
Good morning everyone?

The strangest thing happened this morning. At 4am my hens were screaming. We had raccoons kill our chickens before so we reinforced all entry. Almost every night i see the raccoons on my (cheap and barely works) camera. They play outside looking for a way in but don't actually get in.

So last night the raccoons were there. the bedding in the coop is a mess. there are tons of feathers all over the run and one of my hens has a bit of blood on her beak. but there are no signs the raccoons got in.

What could have happened????

What type fencing ? Sounds as if they were terrorizing your birds through run fencing. They will climb on and run around the pen and try to grab any bird that gets close to the fencing. Sounds like time for either fencing or raccoon elimination.

Is the blood on your hen's beak her blood?
Is it possible that the hens woke up enough to try to defend themselves from the raccoons and one of them got a good peck through the wire and that is raccoon blood on her beak?
I haven't owned chickens long enough to experience illness or attack yet so I am just shooting in the dark here!

:welcome :frow Is your game camera set up so you can see what's going on. I have some set up in different places. I do see predators most every night on at least one of the cameras. I have my cameras set on video but have a program so I can capture frames and some of the cameras have better picture quality. The first 2 pictures were taken from the exact same spot with 2 different cameras.
IMAG0002724 07.jpg
DSCF0001t 10.jpg

DSCF0004630 01.jpg

Good morning everyone?

The strangest thing happened this morning. At 4am my hens were screaming. We had raccoons kill our chickens before so we reinforced all entry. Almost every night i see the raccoons on my (cheap and barely works) camera. They play outside looking for a way in but don't actually get in.

So last night the raccoons were there. the bedding in the coop is a mess. there are tons of feathers all over the run and one of my hens has a bit of blood on her beak. but there are no signs the raccoons got in.

What could have happened????
i had the exact thing with my chickens

I have seen coons on my game cameras but so far they have not bothered my birds. I do have electric around my coop and pens and I don't think coons are jumpers but rather climbers so If they try to climb and touch the wire they will know it. It has made my heart skip a few beats when I have forgotten to turn it off and touched it.
05100004 03.jpg
2014-11-18 17.08.57.jpg

Back
Top Bottom