What happened? Incubation issues

JodyJo

Songster
9 Years
Sep 27, 2010
Colorado
I just hatched out 7 from 29 eggs....what happened? I had all 7 hatch out on day 19....I waiting till today, day 23....I lost 2 on day 19, I should have helped them out...they were alive and pipping, I left them alone and they died.

Today I took the rest, 19 of them, and cracked them open, it appears they died a few days ago...why?

I only opened the incubator on days, 7, 14 and then on lockdown....after that only to remove dried babies...temps stayed at a good range, humidity was as stable as can be....I'm sick...they were all formed chicks...

help, advice?

great info.....I can only assume it was temp or humidity....

I hatched out 4 from 12 last month or so, tried again with 36...half weren't fertile, and well, I just told the rest of the story...I will have another try in the spring I believe when I can move these brooders outside, they look great next to my Christmas tree!

Thanks for the info!

Day 19 hatches I believe mean temps were slightly too high. But honestly my first batch I had temp spikes(up to 106 one day for a few hours) but still had 17 of 19 hatch(19 out of about 36 started). But then I've read that spikes are generally okay but long term high temps will result in mal-positioned chicks that aren't able to pip and/or break out properly(which sounds like what your issue may have been).

Good luck with your next batch!

Back
Top Bottom