What happened to him?

ashlierami

Crowing
5 Years
Feb 9, 2017
Alabama
My once top of the pecking order rooster is now suddenly afraid and being chased by another rooster who uses to be way below him in order. He doesn't take his hens out anymore and stays to himself. He acts like this younger rooster is the scariest thing and runs screaming at just the sight of him. He's now fallen to the borrow of order seems like. He's even alittle spooked when I approach him. He goes foraging alone and that isn't like him. What could be wrong? He's about 3 years old . He still eats and drinks and loves his treats.

My once top of the pecking order rooster is now suddenly afraid and being chased by another rooster who uses to be way below him in order. He doesn't take his hens out anymore and stays to himself. He acts like this younger rooster is the scariest thing and runs screaming at just the sight of him. He's now fallen to the borrow of order seems like. He's even alittle spooked when I approach him. He goes foraging alone and that isn't like him. What could be wrong? He's about 3 years old . He still eats and drinks and loves his treats.
Do you know if he is moulting?

Fairly normal behavior of a once dominant rooster after another has defeated him. He will not regain his mojo as long as the younger rooster is in the flock.
It was so strange to me. They never even fought like you typically see. The older roo would just chase the younger one off and now it's the opposite.

I've seen it happen many times, and the dominant rooster has never regained his confidence. I have even seen cases where once dominant roosters have declined in health and died after being deposed.
I was actually afraid of this he's one of my favorites. I've had him since he was 2 weeks old and I don't want anything to happen to him. The thought kills me. Everyday when I get home from work I always hope for the best that he's not dead.

Remove the younger cockerel....or put the older one in a safe enclosure so he can molt in peace and maybe regain his confidence.

Back
Top Bottom