What Happened to "Madder Than A Wet Hen"?

anbhean

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 3, 2010
Colorado
Is it normal that all three of my hens LIKE to play in the rain? Even the heavy, coming down in sheets stuff?

The way we have their run situated is so that they have access to an indoors run (in a converted shed) and their coop at all times, all they have to do is go in to get out of the rain. But they don't. Are they freaks or is the old saying wrong and hens actually don't mind being wet after all?

Mine do it too, I think they have just accepted the fact that they're PNW birds and if they want any outside time for 9 months out of the year they better deal with the rain. As far as "madder then an old wet hen" goes all you have to do is dunk a wanna be broody hen in a stock tank of water to find that the statement still holds true.
gig.gif

My first hens (3 hybrids) hated the rain and would spend any wet time (which is quite a bit in england) in the coop, My new ones however dont mind it at all ..I dont even think they know the difference, I do have a partial roof on the run so they can get cover if they wanted but like i said ..they dont mind it

My girls will free range even in the most aggressive of downpours. I guess they go after the worms...

But, any time I've had a chicken wounded, etc., and had to take her in the tub to clean her up, now THAT'S a different story.

It's got to be on their own terms, I believe.

smile.png

Em

Quote:
I think mine ENJOY the rain. Most days they lazily walk around, pecking & scratching but on rainy days they pick the pace up and they must cover twice as much ground! LOVE those worms!!

As for the tub...yea...there aren't worms in the tub & they know it!!
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom