What Happened To My Motivation?!? Does this happen to anyone else?

Picky Chicky

Songster
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
Holly Grove, VA
I have no idea what's going on with me these days. I've been so excited about my broody hen sitting on some eggs - due to hatch around May 2nd or 3rd. And I was completely jazzed about last weekend's double swap events because I wanted more chickens! I walked away with 4 four week old babies and all of a sudden I've hit a brick wall on motivation. Almost like a new mother and her baby - she's just too tired and feels overwhelmed.

I'm certain it's just a funk, but it's even more depressing because I don't want to stop liking this hobby - it's been pretty fun and exciting up till now.

Do you ever have any feelings of burnout?

I'm also in between coops and I'm definitely exhausted from helping DH renovate half of our shed into a coop. My babies are in a makeshift limbo cage and I'm not happy about that. I just want to get the larger coop finished so I can go back to my leisurely paced hobby.

Any words of wisdom, or morale boosters are extremely welcomed!! I need it right about now.
sad.png

hugs.gif
awe hun.... I'm sorry. I know what you mean. Maybe its all this rain and cold weather we're having. I've been that way too. One day we get to get out and START getting motivated then this crazy weather comes into play and WHAM! We get sent back in and sit around staring at walls.
hmm.png
Can only clean so much inside
roll.png

I think you answered your own question for the most part - you're just burnt out. Between building coops, playing ever watchful on your broody, trying to make sure your babies hatch and everything else in your life.. I'd be burnt out too.

Hang in there sweetie.... maybe you just need to set a certain amount of time each day for the birds and then just throw your hands up and say "Thats it..I'm done for the day"
smile.png
I know when we were building our coop and doing all chicken/all the time I got so burnt out on it I just didnt want birds any more (and I wasnt the one who wanted them to begin with
hmm.png
)

I cycle through periods were I just want to send all the animals up a crick (creek) with no paddle.

I just wait it out, the motivation will come back eventually (like when those baby chickies hatch).

Right now is my down cycle with the goats-the fun of kidding is over, all that's left now is the constant work of hauling feed, milking, and feeding kids. But, in another month or so, the kids can all be weaned, and I'll start going to shows and planning the next breeding season-my motivation will kick up again.

hugs.gif
You'll get through it!

when I was making my coop, with babies in the house, it was stressful because it was hard work (i was alone on this) and I just wanted it to be done already. Its still not perfect but I had to throw my hands up and say their happy, it works, it doesnt need to be perfect. Some times it helps to get away from here for a day or two too.
ep.gif
you didnt hear that from me
wink.png

I know how you feel. I hate having projects unfinished! It makes me cranky and more depressed than I usually am. As soon as you get the coop finished and can move your new chicks there, you will feel better.

I wish I had some motivational words to share.

How much is left on the coop?

might just be tired... sorry to hear about your funk.

remember that the weather change can make you feel out of wack - we've had cold and wet then wonderful warm now cold and wet. its a little discouraging

take a hot bath, take a nap, sleep, accomplish small steps so that you can see progress.

For me as wonderful as this time of year is - it is also very stressful.

End of semester is a huge pain in my bottom and my kids Bdays are in May and everything is growing faster than I can tend it and nothing I want to grow is in the ground yet.

It all ebbs and flows. Get some rest. New moms need their sleep!

Your motivation will come back when you are not so tired......
hugs.gif

I can totally relate. I am in one of those funks myself. I have a new bantam coop about half done and its messing up a lot of switching around.

My Blue Ameraucana trio is living in my juvie grow out coop/run and they need to go to the old bantam coop when the bantams move to their new home. Which will let me bump all my chicks around to different brooders once the 2 month olds get to move to the juvie pen and out of the coop brooder.
barnie.gif
I am in chicken limbo! I have new chicks arriving this week, hopefully and I might have to hurry and fix up another brooder.

I am eager to have them all in their semi permanent spots, so I can keep things organized. There just isn't enough free, non busy, non rainy weekend days to get help from my DH.

I go through those moments when I think, what was I thinking. Why couldn't I be happy with 3-4 hens instead of 40 hens, a roo and 70 chicks lol But I just love when I walk into the room with the brooders and say Hi Chickies and lots of tiny heads peek up over the sides of the cages lol.

Hang in there, it will get better soon. Once the sunshine and warm weather get here and the franticness of Spring settles down.

I understand. I have my full grown flock, a bunch of 6 week old chicks, a bunch of 3 week olds, and I am expecting more next week. When I candled this last batch and saw how many quitters I had, I just wanted to throw the whole batch away and put the bator in the closet.

I diddnt, though.
big_smile.png
And I am going to fill it up with my own eggs this time, and the thought that I will maybe actually hatch more then 25% of them, has encouraged me. Along with the fact that it is time to put the garden in, and so that will give me a non-chicken hobby to focus on for awhile.

You will be OK! Just like with a new baby, you need a break once in awhile, to do non-chicken stuff

Yall having bad weather! Here in SE,Louisiana around mid 70's, Sunshine....
celebrate.gif
Do you know when you will have some sun? You know what I do and have done this for years put plant grow bulbs in the overhead lights in your kitchen. I use the reveal bulbs its natural light(sun) I also have baby(4) african violets around my sink. I lost there mother last fall and they are cuttings I took off her. They are pretty green getting lil ruffly leaves. They are too young to bloom. It helps! The kitchen is where you spend most of your time, al least I do. My kitchen and living area are all one and very open.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom