What happened to "them"?

lilwanderer

Crowing
Apr 7, 2022
Live Oak, Florida
I wasn't sure what category to put this thread in- I don't think this is an emergency at all, she's(?) fine.
But I had a 3 year old buff orpington (Early 4's presently) who was always a good layer up until late last year, she(?) hasn't laid a single egg or shown interest in nesting/laying- I do remember her(?) last eggs being smaller than usual and the shells that weren't as tough as usual. And she(?) only laid once or twice a week at random.
Then she(?) stopped, completely.
It's been 5 or more months since she's(?) stopped, and one morning (2 months ago maybe), we noticed how rooster-ish her(?) face looks now. My mom even claims someone has swapped out buff orpington hens. 😂.
She's(?) always had a larger comb then any other buff I've owned, but nowhere near as large as it now. And her(?) wattles are crazy! Did my hen change her(?) gender? 🤔
She(?) doesn't have rooster feathers, and doesn't crow or act like a rooster at all- She(?) has no dominance in her(?) either. Although today I noticed how monotone her(?) "bok bok" is, never paid attention before I guess.
Here she(?) was when she(?) was still laying:
Screenshot_20240418-200938.png

Closer to the time she(?) stopped: (You can tell by the change in comb color, it was pale here.)
Screenshot_20240418-201921.png

Today: (Or this evening.)
IMG_20240425_200146808_HDR.jpg

1714090872406545379101436717179.jpg

P.S. She's(?) always been a big hen, but she's (?) definitely a fat bird now. She(?) doesn't even look like the same bird anymore other than color.
(The question marks after every she/her pronouns are absolutely necessary.)

That is a pretty big difference! Chickens don't change gender, but they can develop more masculine features due to hormonal changes. It can be caused by a damaged ovary.
I know they can't really change genders- But I've heard of hens developing rooster features, even growing those hackle and saddle feathers, crowing, and sometimes mounting other hens. (They'll stop laying, but can't actually fertilize a hens egg like a born rooster would be able to.)
But other then that, they become a rooster. But the only thing that's changed with this one is comb and wattle size and how tall she's become. Her stance is different.

She's at an age where she might start developing reproductive issues, and if something's going on with her ovary (chickens only have one, so no backup), it can affect the hormonal balance and cause her to develop masculine features. But also at this age they slow down or stop laying for winter earlier, and resume much later in the spring, than they do when they are younger.

Back
Top Bottom