What Happened?

Sono

Songster
Jul 16, 2021
DeSoto Mo
Ok, suddenly we got snow last week 5 inches but melted after 2 days and again a a few days later about 2 inches and gone the next day 32 at night 40s and sunny during the day.... Thing is, these stupid chicks will stay huddled outside in a corner of the run WTH ? I put them on the roost but right back in the corner almost as soon as I leave the run in the snow??
Well these past couple nights have been in the teens 17 degrees and finally the chicks are in the coop huddled together ( not on the roost but in a corner ) which I assume is warmer than outside as it feels warmer inside to me as well. Tonight is the first night I have seen them inside the coop, at first I thought a coon got them because 2 were dead, one on the ramp and the other at the door of the coop ....... I went inside the coop and the other 10 were fine, no signs of coons ( so electric fence is working well. I am just wondering did these 2 freeze to death or what? One was the Buff with the hunchback, the other was one of the larger Americaunas which was beautiful.... Just trying to figure out why I lost these 2 ?

Ok, suddenly we got snow last week 5 inches but melted after 2 days and again a a few days later about 2 inches and gone the next day 32 at night 40s and sunny during the day.... Thing is, these stupid chicks will stay huddled outside in a corner of the run WTH ? I put them on the roost but right back in the corner almost as soon as I leave the run in the snow??
Well these past couple nights have been in the teens 17 degrees and finally the chicks are in the coop huddled together ( not on the roost but in a corner ) which I assume is warmer than outside as it feels warmer inside to me as well. Tonight is the first night I have seen them inside the coop, at first I thought a coon got them because 2 were dead, one on the ramp and the other at the door of the coop ....... I went inside the coop and the other 10 were fine, no signs of coons ( so electric fence is working well. I am just wondering did these 2 freeze to death or what? One was the Buff with the hunchback, the other was one of the larger Americaunas which was beautiful.... Just trying to figure out why I lost these 2 ?
How old were they? I think getting too cold and getting hypothermia is a possibility. Did they have a draft on them?

How old were they? I think getting too cold and getting hypothermia is a possibility. Did they have a draft on them?
They are 3 months old. No Draft except when they stayed outside for some odd reason? I just went out again and they are staying inside the coop now, maybe they learned something from the other 2 ??? They have plenty of fresh water, feed and deep bedding on the floor. They are not acting like they are cold and gathered around my feet as I filled the feeder earlier, threw down some dried mealworms and they were busy feasting. Just all huddled in the corner as they usually do, not using the roosting bars yet ? Put them up and they just hop off and huddle in a corner.

Back
Top Bottom