what happens if they give you half males?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
i ordered some chicks from natures hatchery and half of the breeds were not the color i ordered which i don't mind but i think that half are roosters. i ordered 25 chicks then tried to pick the six most pullet looking chicks to keep and gave the extras away. Now people are telling me that 3 of the 6 chicks i have look like they are roosters. natures hatchery says that they they guarantee 90% to be the correct sex but if it turns out to be true that 3 of mine are cockerels then what will they do? would they send me some more chicks of the same breed and will they take your word for it that they are roosters? has any one ever had this happen before with natures hatchery?
50920_rscn8326.jpg

50920_dscn8054.jpg

50920_dscn8293.jpg

Last edited:
I think most of the hatcheries will refund you either for the cost of the chick or refund the difference between the cost of a female chick and male chick if the sexing error was larger than 10%.

What makes you think they are roosters? They are much too young to tell either way. Did you order them sexed? I'm not sure I understand why you picked thru for the most "pullet looking" ones if they were sexed. If they were sold as straight run, the odds are 50/50 for hens/roos.

Quote:
i know its to early to tell no but i have a feeling those three may be roos because the combs are much larger then the other ones and they have smaller tails and the brahma is much less developed and much bigger comb. i ordered all pullets but since the minimum was 25(with out paying extra for shipping) and i was only keeping 6 i picked mine and gave the extras of to a farm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom