What happens if...

playswithfowl

One Earth!
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
Oregon
What happens if younger chickens eat laying crumble on regular basis? Does it just mean that they take longer to mature or what?

It means they won't get the proper nutrients for their growing bodies and the added calcium in layer feed can damage their internal organs.

A little layer crumble won't kill them or anything, but they will get a bunch of nutrition deficiencies including phosphorous, lysine, copper, iodine, niacin, B12, etc so make sure they get grower feed!

Young birds are not making eggshells every day. Laying hens need lots of calcium to do that.

I was just comparing a laying formula to some grower formulas. That laying feed has over 5 times the amount of calcium carbonate compared to the others.

Chicks have growing, immature bodies. Their kidneys are immature but all the extra calcium in their blood must be filtered out and voided. It's almost like expecting them to run eggshells thru their urinary track.

Steve

I'm glad I read this, I ran out of grower yesterday and have substituted layer, I wasn't going to worry about till end of week, guess I'll go to town tmorrow! Thanks guys for good info!

Back
Top Bottom