What happens to a chicken when they fall on their back?

Tookie

🐓Eggsuberant🐤
Premium Feather Member
Dec 19, 2021
Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi! So I have a 12 week old Dominique pullet that will sometimes end up on her back, I never see it happen so I don't know how she ends on her back exactly. But she does have a wing issue and I think she trips on her wing and falls on her back. This is the thread about her wing. -> https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-wing-hanging.1512976/
I'm going on vacation this weekend and I'm worried she fall on her back. I forgot to say that she can't get up. So what happens to a chicken that falls on their back and can't get back up? Will the chicken die of exhaustion of trying to get back up, will they stay there until they die of dehydration or starvation?

Last edited:
If she won't be able to turn herself over then she won't be able to get to the food and water. Also might start getting pecked by the other chickens.

If she won't be able to turn herself over then she won't be able to get to the food and water. Also might start getting pecked by the other chickens.
I have 6 other chicks my Dominique is with, 1 other Dominique pullet, 2 EE pullets and 1 EE cockerel, 1 Welsummer pullet and Welsummer 1 cockerel.

Is there anyone who could check on the chickens while you're gone? Maybe put her in a dog crate by herself inside the coop with enough food and water?

My situation might be a little different but I had a pullet who flew up into the netting that covers my run and got stuck on her back. Her body was generally level but her head did hang down so maybe a bit upside down. Anyway, she died from being stuck like that... The maximum amount of time she could have been stuck was 2 - 3 hours.

I've never heard of a chicken that falls on its back and can't roll over to get up unless it's stuck... That's a new one on me. But I think being on their backs for a prolonged period could cause compression in their air sacs which would cause breathing issues.

I've never heard of a chicken that falls on its back and can't roll over to get up unless it's stuck... That's a new one on me.
Well my pullets one wing is basically paralyzed so she can't use it and therefore cannot get up. This pic of her was when she was 1 month old.

Attachments

• 20220330_143948.jpg
    20220330_143948.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 1
Is there anyone who could check on the chickens while you're gone? Maybe put her in a dog crate by herself inside the coop with enough food and water?
Were going on vacation with my family that usually checks on our chickens, they're pretty much the only ones I trust to do the chickens. Were only going to be gone for 4 days, the chickens would be fine for that long it's just the chick that falls on her back I would be worried about. I did go on vacation 2 weeks ago and brought her with me, but on this trip the family were going with has a dog who kills chickens, she's killed one of ours before. If that dog wasn't coming I would bring her, but I could just have her in a dog crate in a room on a table with the door shut so the dog won't be able to get to her, but I bet my parents won't let ne bring her this trip. I'm stressing over this, were leaving this Thursday.

Back
Top Bottom