What happens to all the Rooster chicks?????

annabell254

Chirping
7 Years
May 21, 2012
south Ga
I just had an idle thought...most people want hens, maybe a roo for every 5-10 ladies right? Sohooo when a hatchery sexes its chicks what happens to all the roo's? are they just thrown back in with the rest.... so that people getting strait run get a higher roo to hen ratio that what was really hatched? wouldn't this mean that there would be practically all roo's left in the strait run! Or do they go in a roo pen...if so... Does anyone know WHAT HAPPENS TO THEM???
hu.gif
There has to be extras (probably quite a few) in my thinking...
Anyways I may be the only person left who does not know this, but still .... Just wondering????

if they ARE thrown back in with strait run chicks...I'll be sure to never order strait run where sexing is available!
lau.gif
but if they are not...well I dont know if I want to know the answer because I can only think one thing that happens to an unwanted roo
hide.gif
(but are they culled as chicks or sold as meat chickens)

There is a video on youtube about this. Commercial production has the chicks on a conveyor belt system. The rooster is culled out to be ground up. It is a very disturbing video. I read up on it and they said if they could find another use for the roosters they would be happy to give them away. Feel free to look for the video but you can certainly take my word on it!

In commercial operations ("factory farm hybrid) hatcheries, they are culled as chicks (immediately, from the people I've spoken to who worked there). A few go to local large reptile owners. I doubt the "breed" hatcheries throw them back in. I got 8 roo/6 pullet straight run. Well within expectations. Guessing they pull straight run before sexing.

Last edited:
OMG!!!!I do not have to watch the video...I have an overactive imagination as it is!!! That is horrible, though my husband does not seem to think there is anything wrong with it..
sickbyc.gif
...I think I would almost rather order a few extra and get strait run, even if I eat the roo's at least they will have a year or so in a happy place....it just seems so wast full...like maybe they should offer deals on them like 30 for 15$ and market them for meat...I don't know maybe that is a silly idea...but to spend all that time hatching them out, for nothing..I don't know...it just goes against my grain...so to speak

OMG!!!!I do not have to watch the video...I have an overactive imagination as it is!!! That is horrible, though my husband does not seem to think there is anything wrong with it..
sickbyc.gif
...I think I would almost rather order a few extra and get strait run, even if I eat the roo's at least they will have a year or so in a happy place....it just seems so wast full...like maybe they should offer deals on them like 30 for 15$ and market them for meat...I don't know maybe that is a silly idea...but to spend all that time hatching them out, for nothing..I don't know...it just goes against my grain...so to speak

Nothing goes to waste.

The video was Hy-Line hatchery. Says 150,000 male chicks will die the same day they are hatched. They die because they are not profitable to lay eggs or take too long to produce meat. It goes on every day! You can only imagine how this operation works. It is very casual and is strictly business!

It will make you appreciate your own eggs!

Last edited:
I got two roo's in my last order of chicks....I'm in love with the EE roo....the thought of him in a chucker makes me sick...but I am glad that they get put to good uses....i guess...
idunno.gif
I'm probably going to try and not and think about it too much...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom