What happens to your chickens when they get old and stop laying?

Well we just processed some cockerels and debated whether to send the 2 old hens that we are certain are not laying. DH keeps pretty good track of who is doing what. But they are 4 years old and we really don't want to stew them. I may offer them to a gal we know who raves about free range chicken soup stock. The decision will have to be made soon as our young ones will soon be laying and we need to get numbers down for wintering.

Quote:
Awesome post & signature, I agree!
cool.png

Thanks, I am a very health conscious eater but REFUSE to give up my chocolate, if I ever become allergic I'll just have to buy epipens in bulk! lol

I actually got kicked out of a health food store once as a teen b/c the store clerk / manager was trying to tell me how much better carob was, and I wasn't buying it (the nastey taste alone is bad enough) but I also pointed out how the recent (at that time) vegetarian times had an article about how carob was 5X greater at tooth decay then chocolate. I have mellowed somewhat w/ age but in my late teens wouldn't back down for anything, and ended up being asked to leave!!!!!! lol But that's okay my money spent just fine at the healthfood store down the street.

They have a long term retirement plan here, but they are not even that old yet. I do have two that I have no idea how old they are but they are both laying just about daily. The rest are 7,11, and 12 weeks. I got two that should be laying here soon but am not for sure of there age either for they were a trade for two of 12 week old. I am going to say they are about 15 weeks or so. I let my chicken free range and man do they keep the insects down. When I moved here 8 1/2 months ago there were ticks all over the place now we don't see but may be one of two a week.

Each and everyone of them will be here till they die, unless something gets them. I have already had to cull some and I did not like doing it. I am still working up the nerve to butcher the roosters.

6chickens in St. Charles :

they'reHISchickens :

Well...our young ones will soon be laying and we need to get numbers down for wintering.

Found here on BYC:

"The old hens are winter coop insulators for the laying hens"!
gig.gif

So gardeners and space heaters, well that's productive enough for me!!! lol​

I don't really have any more old girls, save Mercedes. She is going on 7 or 8 now. She lays well, but takes a break occasionally. ATM all our birds are pets, so will live out their lives in the lap of luxury.

However, when I am in a place where I can have more than pets, I will be culling a bit more and using the non egg laying hens as soup base or dumpling stew additives.

In this house, pets are pets, and not pets are not pets...and never the two shall meet.

love.gif
...all my girls have names ,and when egg laying is over, they can just hang arround like me and be the coop patriarchs--and when they do go they get burried in my pet cemetary next to my bird dogs and hunting companions , katie , bess ,nellie the boop ,and meg
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
.. and the wifes cocker .kandy.
hit.gif
..-also with me not being in the beat of health anymore.
old.gif
. the wife knows that if i go first , the girls go to someone who will not cull--and let them live out theirr days in peace---same goes for the 2 baby goats i'am adding in the spring .
thumbsup.gif

I have one chicken who is about 4 years old she is not laying so she has to go, I feel soo mean! But feed is expensive and the chickens need to pay the 'rent' with at least an egg a week, my limit is ten chickens and I'm planing to get 2 new chickens.

This is very intersting, Keep posting!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom