What happens when the screen door slams...

Apparently at my house that is the International Chicken Signal for Treats.

Mine, too! And those greedy little pigs have figured out that if they watch me from the slider, I can't possibly get out of the house without them knowing!​

I used to think it was because they weren't getting enough food. The poor dears, they must be starving, all they have is unlimited food in the coop and freerange all day. Now I realize they are just greedy. Now that canning season is at an end they are barely speaking to me, anyway.

Love the title of this forum, lol, what a hoot. DH had been working up on the back side of the hen yard and he said he could always tell when I came out through the door. Even when the girls were in the hen house eating, they knew! What fun, wouldn't live with out my vultures! ha ha.

Those aren't silly chickens, they're SMART chickens! i'm sure he who gets there first gets the most treats. And by the way Citygirl, those are gorgeous chickens. They look well fed.
smile.png

My chickens are all in separate runs. As soon as i go outside, my Silkies start throwing themselves up against the chain link pen. i'm always afraid they're going to hurt themselves trying to break through.

My two EEs just start pacing back and forth, forth and back. As soon as i set them down, Penny pecks her buddy Grace in the face, then inhales as much as possible before Grace recovers from the attack.

My three Showgirls are the most polite and nonchalant about treats. They never fight over them, and there is always some left over.

But my Red Stars, i have to open the door and quickly throw their treats into the pen before they stampede over top of me trying to reach them. Bunch of hoodlums they are - but, my most reliable egg-layers.

Thanks, Airheart43! As these are apparently non-egglaying chickens all they have to do is eat and eat and eat all day. Rotten little stinkers.

How funny about your silkies and EEs. I'd watch my back around Penny!
lol.png

My girls and boys usually have to stay in their runs. When they hear the screen door slam apparently they all rush to the corner. By the time I get to the edge of the porch everybody is crowded up in the corners looking towards the house.

It really tickles me though when they're out ranging. I feel like the Pied Piper with all the little chickens tromping along behind me as I move around the yard. (And now it's chickens and kittens!)

We only have a devoted "core" group of chickens who always come running, but ALL the turkeys stampede to the back gate when they see/hear us come out. And they are way funnier-looking running toward you than the chickens.
lol.png

When mine do that I beat them with a wooden spoon. I'm kidding of course. My foot teaches them how to fly
tongue.png

Still kidding, I simply get attacked and hollered at for coming out so late with a handful of rocks. Big dummies fall for it everytime
tongue.png

They soon learn to associate certain things with food,lol.
Our biggest chick in the brooder has learned a word or maybe its just the way I say it?
I say, "Want a buggy??" and he goes crazy.
They also know when I am going to feed them because one of our doors in the house squeaks, they hear me taking care of the dogs and KNOW they are next!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom