1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What happens when you feed your birds whole oats...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poulets De Cajun, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

This is what happens when you feed your birds whole grains and dont clean out the pens.... LOL I've got pine shavings in the bottom and the birds that were in here scratched whole oats all over the place. After the recent rain, this is what happened....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    that is pretty cool!!...[​IMG]..now can u feed them that grass?..or is it oats growing?...[​IMG]..sorry i dont know..i've never seen how oats grow...[​IMG]...Wendy

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    They could eat that! yum! [​IMG]

4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Well its actual oats growing, but I couldn't tell ya much more about cultivating them than that. I was going to pull them out, but I watered them today to see how long I can keep it going.

I thought someone had mentioned I could clip the "grass" and feed small pieces to my birds. I am going to research that a little more and see if its recommended.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    fabulous,and great winter forage!

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Wait till someone see's you growing oats in a cage! [​IMG]

If anyone thought you were ODD before - well you're going to confirm that for them!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I think its fantastic! [​IMG]

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    LOL - that looks like the answer to some peoples' questions about 'how do I free range my chickens in my small backyard and still have a nice lawn?' Of course it might be hard to get a lawnmower in there, but hey, nothing's perfect [​IMG]

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by