What has happened to my eggs?

kurtrl

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
I have 10 layers and a rooster in my hen house currently and am about to add 4 Americaunas. About a week ago my hens just stopped laying. I am also dealing with bare backs and heads which I haven't figured out. I have raised chickens before with the same ratio of hens to rooster and never had this problem. I am also constantly battling mice in the coop which I hope will abate with the removal of a bulk feeder and addition of a hanging feeder. Any thoughts?

Is this a new rooster? Some roosters just don’t know how to be gentle. But if you’ve had him for a while and never had that problem then I wonder if it’s mites since you have a mouse problem I would think there is also some type of bugs too.

Thank you for the input Sharon. The rooster has been with the flock since day 1. I read that less than 12 hens per rooster might lead to an over zealous rooster. As for mites, can you recommend any water supplement to get rid of them? My chickens spend most of their time indoors as well. Not sure if that creates any problems?

Do you free range?
How old are your birds?

Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Oh, and......Welcome to BYC! @kurtrl
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590588247362.png

Back
Top Bottom