What hatchery do you like?

sheepchase

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2022
Southeastern Virginia
I haven't had luck with the sexing or the breeds being accurate from TSC. I need to get some more pullets. What mail order hatcheries do you like?
Have you had good results with sexing? Or should I just stick with a sex link? I've seen the lists of hatcheries, but not much on preferences.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of my 4 week old "pullet" that I'm still hoping is just a really fast comb grower ☺️

PXL_20220812_132005388.jpg

I got chicks from Meyers hatchery and I liked them. Out of 15 chicks all were female and the right breed. The quality of the chicks are quite nice. The lavenders don’t have the best feathering but that’s to be expected from a hatchery. I really really love my splash Ameraucana and cookies and cream chicken🥰

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news but sadly your chick is definitely a cockerel with a comb that large and red at only 4 weeks!

Attachments

• 5B7DC7CA-7760-4984-A289-08BE1364D1BC.jpeg
    5B7DC7CA-7760-4984-A289-08BE1364D1BC.jpeg
    594.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 54894D78-1D2E-4ED5-9654-2C71E28A9C31.jpeg
    54894D78-1D2E-4ED5-9654-2C71E28A9C31.jpeg
    792.3 KB · Views: 4
So far, I have not had a hatchery that I will not order from again due to bad experiences.

Hoovers could use better communication, IDEAL could send the right variety, Murray McMurray could work on quality of some of their breeds, but for 5 dollars (average) a pullet chick, none of those are major issues.

I have yet to have a missed male, but I have had st runs that are all male, all female or both

I haven't had luck with the sexing or the breeds being accurate from TSC. I need to get some more pullets. What mail order hatcheries do you like?
Have you had good results with sexing? Or should I just stick with a sex link? I've seen the lists of hatcheries, but not much on preferences.

Thanks!

Here's a pic of my 4 week old "pullet" that I'm still hoping is just a really fast comb grower ☺️

View attachment 3222561
Is it a Mystic Onyx? If it's not, it's it's. If it is, it's still most likely male

I got chicks from Meyers hatchery and I liked them. Out of 15 chicks all were female and the right breed. The quality of the chicks are quite nice. The lavenders don’t have the best feathering but that’s to be expected from a hatchery. I really really love my splash Ameraucana and cookies and cream chicken🥰

I also hate to be the bearer of bad news but sadly your chick is definitely a cockerel with a comb that large and red at only 4 weeks!
I'll take a look!
I have two australorps that I'm afraid are cockerels. I already have two, and wanted more pullets so I could keep both. I'm going to try to rehome when they get the rest of their feathers and hope for the best ordering more.
You have some handsome chickens!

I’ll take a look! I have two australorps that I'm afraid are cockerels. I already have two, and wanted more pullets so I could keep both. I'm going to try to rehome when they get the rest of their feathers and hope for the best ordering more.
You have some handsome chickens!
Thank you! I did order 18 but lost 3 due to shipping. However I did order them from California so they made a cross country trip from Ohio… it probably also didn’t help that the post office had them outside when it was 40 degrees 🤦‍♀️ They have a good selection of both fun mixes and heritage breeds.

When I would order from a hatchery my best luck would always be from McMurray, I always got just what I ordered and never had any come in dead or died later. I haven't ordered any from a hatchery in several years, but McMurray would be my top choice.

Back
Top Bottom