What Hatchery?

How many times have you ordered from a hatchery?

• Never

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Once

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Twice

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Three

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Four

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Five

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Always.

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My first suggestion would be to narrow things down a bit.

What type of chicken? Which breed? What is the purpose intended for the birds? Is heritage or show quality important to the keepers? These are questions that likely need answers before suggesting any hatchery, or even if a hatchery or a breeder would be a better choice.

A lot depends on the distance between you & the hatchery. I'm from MI and ordered from Iowa with no problems. But that won't help you pick a hatchery because I ordered guineas from the guinea farm. Generally speaking the further they travel the more that can go wrong.

I ordered 3 times all 3 were different places...

I ordered from purley poultry it was a small order of 7 they did great. Then I ordered from meyer hatchery I didint like them, beyond horrible quality birds but I did keep 1 rooster that i like. Then last April I ordered from McMurray they were great also.

If you are looking for a low price, Ideal has some of the lowest prices and excellent customer service! If you lose chicks within 2 days of them arriving, generally, Ideal will credit your account for the difference. If you are looking for quality, you are going to want to find a breeder, not a hatchery. Good luck!

Although I have read that others have had problems with My Pet Chicken, I have been happy with my orders from them. I originally chose them because they were the only hatchery I could find that did not require 15 or more chickens. My first order from them went very well and I have five very pretty healthy pullets. On my second order a light brown leg horn did not make it, but MPC was very prompt and courteous about refunding my money. I would order from them again if I simply want pretty, healthy layers or pets. When I settle down and choose a heritage breed I would like to help preserve I will look for a reputable breeder.

Back
Top Bottom