What hath God wrought/or what has Jimmy done???

They sleep in the enclosed area either where the protective wire keeps them from predators. It has a roof and an enclosed area where others roost at night. Some, however, roost in the trees.

I have never lived in an area so temperate I could imagine my birds sleeping in trees year round!

View attachment 1919036 View attachment 1919036 View attachment 1919037 View attachment 1919039
Well they're not all three year old birds. Maybe a third or three year old. And they are in a large pen. I have a road on either side so I can't let him wander into the road. I'm uploading a file of the pen and coops.

I now see what I need to do! I have some work to do, lol. I have half pullets and cockerels and the other half hens and one rooster. I feel better now.
That looks like a really nice big area.

Jimmy needs to get a(some) bigger coop(s) and some feeders. ;)
Thank you all for your quick, wise counsel! I've always depended on the group at BackYard Chickens to guide me in the right direction, and you have not failed to do so. These responses have definitely opened my eyes to how uninformed I have been. I admit my own embarrassment and disappointment in myself for not being more responsible and getting to this point. In my excitement with the whole process and misplaced hope/planning for a larger flock for more eggs, I failed to prepare a home for the newly arrived. I am making plans to either rehome all or some of my flock, or either add the necessary items to make what I have healthy, comfortable, safe, and thriving. I cannot thank the community enough!!! I am humbled, and I am grateful.

Thank you all for your quick, wise counsel! I've always depended on the group at BackYard Chickens to guide me in the right direction, and you have not failed to do so. These responses have definitely opened my eyes to how uninformed I have been. I admit my own embarrassment and disappointment in myself for not being more responsible and getting to this point. In my excitement with the whole process and misplaced hope/planning for a larger flock for more eggs, I failed to prepare a home for the newly arrived. I am making plans to either rehome all or some of my flock, or either add the necessary items to make what I have healthy, comfortable, safe, and thriving. I cannot thank the community enough!!! I am humbled, and I am grateful.
Don't be too hard on yourself! I'd bet the majority of us here made the same mistake. I know I did! The fact that you are prepared to fix it shows you are serious about this, so hang in there and get to buildin! You could add 9n to the 2 coops enclosing them both into one larger or you could get a shed and convert it. I enclosed my little coop which is exactly like yours, and made it all coop no run. That got me through one winter. Then I built a new walk in coop which I am about to move them into on Wednesday night! Good luck!

Don't be too hard on yourself! I'd bet the majority of us here made the same mistake. I know I did! The fact that you are prepared to fix it shows you are serious about this, so hang in there and get to buildin! You could add 9n to the 2 coops enclosing them both into one larger or you could get a shed and convert it. I enclosed my little coop which is exactly like yours, and made it all coop no run. That got me through one winter. Then I built a new walk in coop which I am about to move them into on Wednesday night! Good luck!
Great encouragement and advice. I've debated about connecting the two coups but they don't lend themselves to be joined side by side due to the doors, trays, etc. Are you saying add nine nesting boxes to the six I already have? And you converted your coop by enclosing the "run" (the wired in section which already has a roof but is not enclosed by wooden walls--it's "walls" are that hard rabbit wire with doors that open for cleaning, etc. if needed) off of the nesting boxes that are enclosed? That would mean both coops would be totally enclosed with wooden sides and all I'd need to do is add a covered wire run??? Yeah, you guessed right...science is my forte, not engineering!!! I can dissect a human cadaver but am hard pressed to put up a straight wall! Thanks so very much for your very good advice. Jimmy

Back
Top Bottom