What Have You Rescued?

I tried rescuing a baby Mockingbird, which had fallen out of the nest...The next thing I know, I needed rescuing, from the Mama Mockingbird, who was none too happy about my intervention. Needless to say, I left it to Mother Nature to take care of things.

I rescued a mama quail and her babies from a neighbors cat.
tongue.png

My daughter is going to school to be a Wildlife Biologist. She wants to do some rehab as well. That's fine with me if she waits till she's on her own. I told her she could do the rehab thing as part of her work with the degree she will have. But for now I'm gonna have to tell her do NOT bring home anything because I end up being the one dealing with it She's a busy person. She's either working, going to school, or out with a friend. Also I've learned that neither our dogs or our cat are accepting of additional animals. So even if she wasn't busy fostering doesn't work here. She brought home a kitten a couple of weeks ago and we finally found it a home. Our big cat was a nightmare the whole time that kitten was here. A couple years ago she brought home a puppy. It was only about 5 weeks old so I had to be surrogate mommy (she was at school all day). He had a small case of mange. I had it treated, got him all his puppy shots and ended up taking him to the shelter because once he was outside with the other dogs not only did my hound not like him he tried to kill my cat. That was it. Luckily he was adopted out the next day.

I did once put a baby robin back up in the tree that it's nest was in since it couldn't fly. But it turned out that the momma was kicking the babies out of the nest to learn to fly.

Yes sir. The quail live in my blueberry patch all summer and any cat hanging out there is a goner.
Quote:
By removing the cat from the equation?

Last edited:
Lots of turtle saving going on in Florida. Man I love those guys. Turtles and birds. Is there anything prettier than a colorful songbird?
love.gif

You just look at those guys and see how much they need your help, its so hard to turn away one of God's creatures. Since having my son I don't rescue anything venomous or that could lay real hurt on my son. But back in my crazy days, I would help anything, LOL.

We had someone bring two orphaned raccoon babies over a few years ago. It was really sad, they let them out of their cage and for some reason decided to do this right beside our coondogs. The babies didn't last four seconds.
hit.gif
The bad part was they were coonhunters too so knew that was a bad idea! Then they got a little upset that the dog killed them? I figured it was probably best as they wanted to keep one for a pet. With all the kids running in and out of their house I could already see the outcome of that.
th.gif

As I sit typing this I am looking at one of the two old dogs we rescued last year. His owner died and he had been in rescue kennels for five months when we got him. He is a little Jack Russell, very smelly and opinionated, and positively ancient. Despite this I absolutely love him as well as the elderly female Jack Russell that we also acquired last year. We have been doing this all our lives and am proud to say son and daughters are the same!

Quote:
Sounds like my Oma, that we just lost last year. I had just lost my older Pit to cancer, and really wanted another older dog. I adopted her from the local dog shelter at the tender young age of 10 - 12 years old. They weren't sure how old she was, since she was picked up as a stray. Oma was her shelter name. It means "Grandma" in many different languages, like German and Dutch, I believe. She was about 10lbs overweight (for a Jack Russel, that's alot), had green teeth, really bad cataracts, and her because of the type of coat she had, looked like an old fat opossum. I knew she was the one for me!
lol.png
She had apparently been there awhile too, as she was on her last days at the shelter. When I got her home, found out she had hypothyroidism, hence why she was so fat, all of her teeth but one canine and one molar had to be pulled, and she had very bad cataracts. I also shaved her coat down. She looked like a smoothed hair Jack Russel when I did this. She also had a touch of dementia, which I didn't realize till she got into almost full blown dementia. (I didn't really know her personality at first. I thought she may have just been a little aloof). She eventually became deaf too.
sad.png
Even though she was in her own little world most of the times, the girl lived to eat. She knew when breakfast and dinner time were, without a doubt. Because she was so special needs, she had the run of the house, and of our 4 other dogs. No one was allowed to bug Oma. She didn't let this go to her head, though. Frankly, she really didn't care. She got along great with other dogs. We only had her for about 2 years, when her kidneys decided to fail. I don't miss all the meds and precautions I had to take with her all the time, but I do miss the crazy little dog herself. I just love old dogs. Not sure why, I mean I love puppies and adult dogs too, but there's just something about old dogs. Here she is on her throne, she always had to have a dog bed to lay on:
44142_2009_03150006.jpg

Here's a pic of her with my other girls. As "out there" as she was, she still stood still for a photo, most of the time:
44142_100_1740_008.jpg

It makes me sad thinking of her. I've promised my husband no more dogs, but I really wish I could adopt another old one. Unfortunately, Lacy, my brown and white Pit mix that's in the above photo, HATES other dogs. She loved Oma though.

Back
Top Bottom