What heat source is the safest for my chicks?

I have in floor radiant heating with no carpet. I found I didn't need additional heating. However, when there is a sudden drop in temperature I used the old bulb overhead method. I needed it for a couple of days waiting for the floor to build up enough heat. With a regular furnace I would use a heat plate or reptile bulb.

Could I just change my bulb to the ceramic bulb? And I have it right now sitting on top of the trough pointed down on top of some chicken wire. My husband made a top to the trough with wood/chicken wire has a piece of wood sticking up so that way the light claps on it and pointing down onto chicken wire
Yes.

it really depends on your situation and what you feel most comfortable with. I have done all of them, and I am back to my trusty red heat lamp. I attach it in to places with a chain, so it really can’t fall. I also put a wire lid on the brooder and the lamp is above that, so it can never fall into the bedding. I have used the reptile ceramic bulb before but I worry because I can’t see from afar if it is on. We brood in our converted garage, and I can see the red light from our bedroom at night and know all is ok. For tiny ones it is also easier to find the warmth of a red lamp because they are attracted to the light. I worry they might not find the warm area as easily without the light. Now the heat plate also takes a bit of training of the tiny ones to know where to go for warmth. And in a cooler environment it just doesn’t provide enough heat. It’s good if you brood in your home, a garage is usually too cold. And then you need to make sure there’s enough room for all under it, but no one can get trapped, so keep it away from the edges of the brooder. For tiny, especially shipped, weakened chicks the chicks might find the rest of the brooder too cold to go out and eat and drink much, which can make them even weaker. I had some chicks picked up locally once that just disappeared under the plate for hours after arrival. Not good!
Anyway - the red lamp really is the least problematic solution for me, as long as you make sure it is safe (and I still worry about a bulb blowing when I am not there…).

Could I just change my bulb to the ceramic bulb? And I have it right now sitting on top of the trough pointed down on top of some chicken wire. My husband made a top to the trough with wood/chicken wire has a piece of wood sticking up so that way the light claps on it and pointing down onto chicken wire
A woods clamp lamp with a porcelain socket works great with ceramic 'reptile' bulbs. Mine are suspended from the ceiling by steel wire.I don't use the clamp.

Last edited:
A heating plate is the best option and least from what I've tried. I've used a heat bulb and now I use a heating plate and here are the differences that I've noticed now using the heating plate vs what I used to use the heating bulb.

#1 it's so much safer

#2 the chicks are calmer

#3 it's more natural

#4 they feather at least a little faster becausethey are not constantly under a heat source. My chicks feather a lot faster but that's probably for other reasons too.

#5 that don't pick at each other

#6 the chicks seem to be so much happier in general. They can have more control over wether they want to be under the heat or not.
Just think about it if with a hen they are not constantly sitting under her they are walking around beside her. And only go under her to rest and warm back up.

I use a heat plate in my brooder - super easy - chicks can have proper night/day cycles - seem very calm and less skittish.

Because I notoriously get chicks 🐣 without warning, minding my own business and poof the farm store has chicks! Too cute to pass up! - I will pop a hot water bottle in a box with the chicks while I set up their brooder and they snuggle up on top of it. Giving me plenty of time to not rush. Hot water bottle stays warm for about 6 hours & washes their poop off easily.

Back
Top Bottom