What Humidity Should I Put my Incubator at?

On a side note I bought a couple cigar hygrometers, calibrated them and stuck them under both a broody duck and a broody chicken. Both hygrometers were reading the same as my hygrometer that was just sitting outside.
You have them already, but for those of us who don't think of getting those cool ones, the AcuRite dual hygrometer/thermometer gage from WalMart works good too, and is usually pretty accurate right out the box (although things should always be calibrated).

I ran the Nurture Right 360 as the instructions stated during January 2023, and 21/24 hatched successfully. One had to be culled, but 20 chicks from 24 eggs is pretty good I think. I've heard a number of folks have that kind of result from non-shipped eggs with the NR 360.

I drenched my eggs in hydrogen peroxide and scrubbed off the poop prior to setting (dirty eggs were mostly what I had), and then had to be really careful to sanitize the incubator and wash my hands prior to turning. Most folks just set clean/cleanish eggs (no washing) and have no trouble.

I overloaded my incubator and had to hand turn 2 of them the whole time, and had a staggered hatch and put together a still air incubator from stuff I had at the house, it was a pain, don't do a staggered hatch, use the auto-turner for the NurtureRight and don't overload it.

Since dry hatching my hatch rates have been in the 90's. Excluding my last batch which was also dry hatched, but I had 100% hatch rate.
I let the water evaporate and sit for a few hours and now the humidity is at 22%. Is this okay+ will it stay the same the whole night/long periods of time? I won’t be home tomorrow to monitor it so I’m worried it will change.

Since dry hatching my hatch rates have been in the 90's. Excluding my last batch which was also dry hatched, but I had 100% hatch rate.
I also forgot to mention- we have a dehumidifier in the same room, if i empty it will it lessen the humidity in the incubator?

I also forgot to mention- we have a dehumidifier in the same room, if i empty it will it lessen the humidity in the incubator?
I think so. You could try it and see. Dry hatching means you use whatever the room humidity is instead of changing the humidity within the hatcher from whatever the room humidity is to some value you pick out.

For instance in Alabama, there are some seasons of the year where I could probably dry hatch because ambient humidity, even inside my air conditioned house is 45-50%. It just gets and stays so darn humid. On the other hand, during the winter, humidity is more like 20%.

I have the NR360. I don't dry hatch. I keep humidity on average of 45 (it will go up and down some during the day/week but try to have it ave out to about 45) days 1-18 then bump to 65 for lockdown. I have had good rates with doing that.

Thank you, I'm new to incubating. I'm hatching Copper Black Marans and Buff Orpingtons.I read online that CBMs need LESS humidity. Has as anyone had that experience? Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom