What I have learned...

Heidi T

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 10, 2013
I’ve been a Chicken Mom for about 6 months. I adopted my Ladies from a neighbor so they wouldn’t be cold this winter. Featherless and headless and kinda cold.
Since then I have learned some interesting things
1. Chickens can do tricks. Mine will do anything for a raisin
2. I can do tricks. I found myself gathering dead flies from the window because I thought the ladies would like them (hang my head in shame).
3. Chickens can cross their legs, Put their hands on their hips, tap their foot and give others the “stink eye”. Minerva Louise was in the favored nesting box. Penny obviously NEEDED in there. Penny was crossing her legs, I kid you not, and peaking over the wall every few seconds. She then hopped the wall and stood there tapping her foot and giving Minerva Louse a look that would have made me move too! I gave them some privacy and when I came back, treat in hand of course, Penny was setting in said box happy as can be.
4. Chickens are not the brightest bulb in the pack, but they will eat them. I had a 100watt bulb for light and a little heat. They somehow broke it and I only found half of it. I am sure they ate the rest. I was sure they would die because THEY JUST ATE A LIGHT BULB, but three weeks later they are fine. I bought a lamp shade for the light. See #2.
5. Chickens poop EVERYWHERE! I cannot stress this enough. The nesting boxes, the perch, the water bowl, the feeder, my boot, each other. Poop! Poop! POOP!
6. If you have chickens you don’t need a rotor tiller. We summer fallowed part of the garden. Ok I did plant potatoes but they didn’t grow. Hubby (smart man) suggested we put the chicken tractor over that part of the garden and the Ladies could scratch and eat the weeds. Worked like a charm. What Hubby doesn’t know is he needs to build me two more tractors.
7. Don’t panic over a naked chicken. Poor pPenny was dying. All her feathers fell out! She must be sick or at least have some HORRIBLE mite infestation.I was knitting her a sweater! I bought chicken powder. Did you know it came in a 20 lb bag? Two chickens divided by 20 lbs of powder equals 10 lbs per chicken. Right?? The nice lady at the feed store found me a one pound bag and explained a few things to me. Every time I walk in the store I think I hear a giggle. Must be their door bell. Peny was molting.
8. Chickens are addictive. I “rented” two just for the summer, I promised Hubby. Their going back to the neighbors for winter, I said. We need a chicken coop because I am getting four more tomorrow. I am not getting any more (till Spring). Shhh. That’s going to be a surprise.
I can’t wait to see what I learn in the next six months.

How cute! Glad you are enjoying your chickens. Mine make me laugh everyday and do something to put me in a better mood if I'm feeling down.
smile.png

They will keep you on your toes for the rest of your days! The learning never stops with chickens.

Keep enjoying your babies!

Three of my hens have now learned to come tap on the backdoor for treats. I hope they don't teach the others!
hide.gif
I said I was only going to get 6...I now have 12....one of them follows me like a puppy and will not go anywhere with the rest of the flock. She literally stays right behind me. If I stop suddenly, she runs into my heels...She's a Sikie....

Keep us updated on what you learn! I love hearing I'm not the only chicken nut around!

Back
Top Bottom