What i need for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by janeimmel, May 6, 2017.

1. janeimmel

janeimmel New Egg

May 6, 2017
    What do i need for a 1-4 week old chicks?
    I

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    Grit is the most important thing for chicks, A heat lamp, and chick starter. Is this what you mean?

3. janeimmel

janeimmel New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Yes, thank you!
    Do you know what temperature it always has to be? And do you recommend any brands or will anything do? Also, by chick starter do you mean like those starter packs or do you mean chick starter like feed?

4. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I mean chick starter feed. You will need grit, I recommend the temperature being 95 when you first get them. Then turn it down 5 degrees every week. I also recommend medicated feed, its the same price as non medicated and it prevents coccidiosis. Which is a common disease in chickens.

Hope this helps!!

5. janeimmel

janeimmel New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Great, thanks so much!

6. hempsteadjb

hempsteadjb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2017
    Louisiana
    I was told I didn't need grit if I use the chick starter...should I get some? I got my chicks on Friday and they seem to be doing well.

7. sjango

sjango Out Of The Brooder

I'm lurking, as I'm getting my first batch of chicks soon, and want to make sure I don't miss anything!

8. sjango

sjango Out Of The Brooder

I've heard pine shavings are the way to go for bedding. Are there any other bedding materials I can safely use for new chicks?

Last edited: May 7, 2017
  9. chickensss9

chickensss9 New Egg

Apr 5, 2017
    Keep them warm and dry but make their area big enough so that you have a heat lamp at one end and if they need to they can go to the other end to cool off.

10. TattooedChicks

TattooedChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2017
    Kansas City
    If you are only feeding chick starter, the grit can wait. But once you add treats, the grit will help them digest it. Also, having a cool spot in the brooder is just as important as heat, they will need to be able to regulate their bodies between the two zones to prevent over heating. So stay away from those 250w bulbs, they are too strong for a small chick operation.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by