What I was afraid of...

I've got two healthy chicks (yay!), and one more that's struggling in the shell without seeming to make any progress. My gut feeling is that it is not going to be healthy, but we will see. I've got it in my separate tiny incubator ready to assist more if I need to, but I'm trying not to rush it.

Out of 52 eggs that is....bad. Really bad. My hatch rate is not even that high in general due to inexperience, and that is atrocious. It's only day twenty so I'll give them at least until the end of tomorrow (and then I listen with a stethoscope before tossing them), but don't think I'll get many more. Kind of regret agreeing to set them at all, but oh well. Had to try. Two is better than nought! I hope the seller doesn't buck at re-shipping or a partial refund now that it actually has turned out bad.

Little weirdo, dubbed Pugsly, is continuing to break my heart by being charming and active. He can't eat, though, not even hand-fed a little mash, so he is going to be put down this afternoon before he starts to go downhill :( I will some decent pics of him in good lighting first. It's a face only a mother could love, I tell ya what.

Poor Pugsly, that is the part I don't like about hatching. You do have some healthy babies though so that's great!

My first hatching experience wasn't so great either, I ended up with 1 chick that lived and only 2 hatched.

I learned that my humidity was actually quite a lot higher than what my hygrometer was reading, digital, so I got one I can manually calibrate. I think my temp might have been a little high too, not sure because it only reads whole numbers so maybe only a tiny bit. The second time around was a much netter experience. I still feel guilt about the first batch.

Don't beat yourself up over this batch, they started behind the 8 ball through no fault of yours. I'm sorry you have to go through all this though.

Don't beat yourself up over this batch, they started behind the 8 ball through no fault of yours. I'm sorry you have to go through all this though.

Aw, thanks! This is my fourth hatch but in very quick overlapping succession, so my learning curve has been quick but not necessarily thorough. There are a few deaths from the first few batches that were 100% my fault (ignorance about genetic mechanisms and the actual freakish dryness of our air), but it is nice not feeling quite as bad about this batch. If the viability rate is actually this low it's a minor miracle I've got two healthy ones! It does help a lot to hear about everyone else's struggle to perfect their technique in the beginning.

I went from having 22 birds to having nothing but eggs after a mama bear with two babies broke into our garage and had a horrifying field day >.> This morning's chick marks healthy #22 so it's nice to be feeling rich in quail (and electric fences) again!

Oh my goodness, how horrifying. I'm happy no humans were hurt anyway.

Reading about others newby mistakes has definitely helped as well as the helpful folks here @ BYC.

I hope the seller doesn't balk about sending you more eggs too.

I'll be following to see if any more hatch. Good luck!

Oh my goodness, how horrifying. I'm happy no humans were hurt anyway.

Ha, thanks. Me too, as I had friends over at the time too, poor things. In a twisted way I'm glad it happened so early in my quail adventure, as it was obviously going to at some point and I never would have been quite prepared for it before it happened. Foxes, yes. Raccoons, yes. Coyotes, yes. Hawks, yes. A latch-opening triplet of sedan-sized black bears? Nope. My wonderful handy boyfriend slapped the fence up that weekend, we had a successful bear-nose-on-fence test really soon after, and didn't see them again before they went into hibernation.

RIP Pugsly. He was a good little chick. I'm glad we put him down before he seemed to start suffering at all, but I'm mad I always get most attached to the tragically doomed ones. I am a terrible farmer! I snapped some pics of him but my phone is being a butt so I will figure out how to upload them after dinner.

I wish I had the energy to get good pics of the couple healthy ones, but oh my God guys. I am so tired. We got two more, but one needed extensive hatch assistance and is still weak/sickly, and one was bleeding PROFUSELY from the navel. The former is getting electrolyte sugar water and the latter got cornstarched for now, but I am not hopeful for either of them either. That's 3/5 with extensive problems. So, so tired....

Sorry for the late update! I was hand-watering a baby with a spinal deformity and crooked head (not wry neck, didn't look similar and didnt respond to vitamin dosing) every hour until early this morning so I am wiped. We lost him, but it wasn't a surprise, he was a trooper but along with that he came out underfeathered and with a crooked wing.

The hatch rate was 1/3rd all my other batches, with a deformity and loss rate more that twice as high. BUT I got four healthy little chicks! Here they are posing with two slightly older siblings (they got held back a grade and they're all getting along).

IMG_20181209_133457843_HDR.jpg
IMG_20181209_133506149_HDR.jpg

And here is the first poor deformed one :/

IMG_20181206_150301838.jpg

Sorry for the late update! I was hand-watering a baby with a spinal deformity and crooked head (not wry neck, didn't look similar and didnt respond to vitamin dosing) every hour until early this morning so I am wiped. We lost him, but it wasn't a surprise, he was a trooper but along with that he came out underfeathered and with a crooked wing.

The hatch rate was 1/3rd all my other batches, with a deformity and loss rate more that twice as high. BUT I got four healthy little chicks! Here they are posing with two slightly older siblings (they got held back a grade and they're all getting along).

View attachment 1612039
View attachment 1612043

And here is the first poor deformed one :/

View attachment 1612033
Sorry you lost a chick but glad the others are doing well

Thank you guys! It's working! I got a healthy chick within another hour.

Poor little dude. I vowed this time I would not be opening the brooder for any reason until ~24 hrs post first hatch, as I live somewhere with 9% air humidity and it mucks things up instantly. He doesn't seem to be suffering, so he's getting a little extra time to toddle around and cuddle with his sibling. I will have to cull him tomorrow before he starts to be malnourished. I keep looking like he will magically be less messed up and it'll turn out to be just scissorbeak I can try to work with, but his skull is...not right, and he seems to be down an eyeball :( I've had chicks hatch weak and die, I've had chicks hatch strong and die, but I've never had one so messed up and so strong-seeming, it's breaking my heart a little.
We hatched one 6 days ago just like this. Scissor beak, one eye, other eye not quit in the right place, head looks a bit wonky. It is so tiny, seems like it WANTS to thrive, but just isn't growing.

. . .

RIP Pugsly. He was a good little chick. I'm glad we put him down before he seemed to start suffering at all, but I'm mad I always get most attached to the tragically doomed ones. I am a terrible farmer! I snapped some pics of him but my phone is being a butt so I will figure out how to upload them after dinner.
. . .
I resemble that comment. I'm a terrible farmer too! You're doing all the right things. It just FEELS horrible. . .

Back
Top Bottom