What if chickens could reproduce without mating?

The Jurassic Park Franchise has very little relevance in this scenario although I do believe they are setting up Blue to reproduce through this method in Jurassic World: Dominion. And you're all crazy if you think I wouldn't be flipping burgers at some place like Jurassic Park if that meant I got to see and work with those magnificent animals every day. lol
Wasn't that the whole premise of the first movie? Everyone thought it was fine since there were only females on the island then Jeff Goldblum talks about life finding away and people get eaten and its all in good fun?

I would totally work there too. If I didn't love dinosaurs, I wouldn't love chickens😆

In the case of the California Condors that inspired the first post, as all the living birds have been DNA mapped in a genome library when the two females reproduced, the chicks were identical genetically to their mothers.
They were not Identical to their mother per say, since their mother has only one Z( ZW), their parthenogenetic sons have two copies of her Z Chromosome but due to Meiosis recombination their two Z chromosome are not 100% identical. They were just testing for Paternity but found that those two parthenogenetic males don't have any contribution from the available males.

Wasn't that the whole premise of the first movie? Everyone thought it was fine since there were only females on the island then Jeff Goldblum talks about life finding away and people get eaten and its all in good fun?

I would totally work there too. If I didn't love dinosaurs, I wouldn't love chickens😆
That wasn't parthenogenesis. Due to the nature of the reconstruction of the DNA strands certain DNA was incorporated from other species, specifically Rana or amphibian DNA.
1636139268810.png

1636139343015.png

1636139376261.png

This wasn't shown well in the film, but the novel clearly goes into it. This is a form of sexual rather than asexual reproduction.

Many species of fish are able to change sex during the course of their life. Damsels, clownfish, angels, and anthias all come to mind. For example, if Finding Nemo was scientifically accurate when Coral (Nemo's mom) was killed, Marlin would have actually changed sex from male to female and they (father and son now father changed to mother and son) would have been a mated pair which doesn't make for good children's television. Nemo in turn would have been male and would not have changed sex unless Marlin died or Nemo left the anemone. Two juvenile clowns will always end up being a m/f pair on the condition that they establish dominance early enough to do so. The more dominant individual is larger and female. Angels do that in reverse. Males are the final stage of sexual development.

That wasn't parthenogenesis. Due to the nature of the reconstruction of the DNA strands certain DNA was incorporated from other species, specifically Rana or amphibian DNA.
View attachment 2888735
View attachment 2888736
View attachment 2888738
This wasn't shown well in the film, but the novel clearly goes into it. This is a form of sexual rather than asexual reproduction.

Many species of fish are able to change sex during the course of their life. Damsels, clownfish, angels, and anthias all come to mind. For example, if Finding Nemo was scientifically accurate when Coral (Nemo's mom) was killed, Marlin would have actually changed sex from male to female and they (father and son now father changed to mother and son) would have been a mated pair which doesn't make for good children's television. Nemo in turn would have been male and would not have changed sex unless Marlin died or Nemo left the anemone. Two juvenile clowns will always end up being a m/f pair on the condition that they establish dominance early enough to do so. The more dominant individual is larger and female. Angels do that in reverse. Males are the final stage of sexual development.
I see. I vaguely remember something about this from my paleontology class but I can't remember what critter it was. This was a decade ago. I was never deep into paleontology -I just took the classes for the field trips. I am a rock nerd :D

I see. I vaguely remember something about this from my paleontology class but I can't remember what critter it was. This was a decade ago. I was never deep into paleontology -I just took the classes for the field trips. I am a rock nerd :D
My geology professor in college wanted me to change my major. lol He was very upset to find out I was an English/Psychology major. lol

Back
Top Bottom