What if eggs bunch up?

JDGreene

Songster
Oct 18, 2018
Tennessee
I don't know how flat the wire is in my homeade incubator since I have an egg turner in there now which I'm going to remove for hatch. I'm sure there is a bit of a hump or dip in the middle. It is 1/4 hardware cloth. If the eggs were to roll from a hatched chick and bunch up together say in the middle or the sides, would the chicks have a hard time hatching if the eggs are pressing on one another?

JDGreene

Songster
Oct 18, 2018
Tennessee
They are white leghorns.

I don't want to have to open it any more than I have to. I don't think its too unlevel but I don't know if they will roll or not. First time.

I have some pics in my other thread to give an idea of what is in there.

mcdze

Songster
Sep 9, 2020
i'd put something under them, mine uses plastic pull-out rails to guide the turning so i pull them out and arrange them so the eggs wont get rolled around everywhere by hatching chicks .. i imagine you could cut down something like an egg carton just enough to cradle them so they tend to stay put .. thats actually a decent idea .. glad you mentioned it lol ...

JDGreene

Songster
Oct 18, 2018
Tennessee
I have some wire racks that I can cut down to sit on top of the hardware cloth. Then sit the eggs on it.
Like this.

They wont roll around much sitting on that but I don't know how the chicks would do with it in there.

Top Bottom