What if hens don't want/eat oyster shells or egg shells?

An interesting topic here, and I would suppose each of us has differing methods and or ways of managing the calcium intake our birds require. At this time of year I tend to let my hens free range around the place. In doing so they cut way back on the amount of lay mash/pellets they consume. It is a drastic change in the volume of feed they eat from my feeders, and as such I do not believe there is anyway they can get enough calcium to make strong eggs. I have oyster shell free choice year round. I tend to see the oyster shell use level start to increase when the commercial feed decreases. I have learned, because my hens have taught me, that they and they alone know best what they need. As the keeper of said birds, I have been regulated to the role of an actor in this play. It always seems to work best for all involved in this play, to just give them the option to self regulate.

I offer oyster shell and grit in those four inch round, pvc tube feeders, year round. The birds hunt and peck, as they are prone to do, as they wish. I would recommend that bird keepers just offer these basic items regardless of the feed used. I do not recommend mixing oyster shell into the feed, because the birds will consume extra by chance, roosters as well if you have them. Birds are smart, they seem to know what they need and in my experience will satisfy this need if the correct items are offered.

Best to all and your birds,

RJ

Last edited:
I'm a new chicken mom and I tend to agree that most animals "are smart, they seem to know what they need", but... my 6mo old RIR just started laying and has given me 3 no-shell eggs so far. My other girls are all the same age (1 Americauna and 1 gray EE) have nice thick shells. Also, she is the only one that lays in the bushes instead of the nestbox. They go out at 7am and free-range until 7pm. They have free feed layer feed, a bowl of oyster shell plus 1 handful of corn scratch in the morning I also give yogurt and cut up fruit a few times a week.
What can I do for this 1 that is giving the bum eggs in random places?

I'm a new chicken mom and I tend to agree that most animals "are smart, they seem to know what they need", but... my 6mo old RIR just started laying and has given me 3 no-shell eggs so far. My other girls are all the same age (1 Americauna and 1 gray EE) have nice thick shells. Also, she is the only one that lays in the bushes instead of the nestbox. They go out at 7am and free-range until 7pm. They have free feed layer feed, a bowl of oyster shell plus 1 handful of corn scratch in the morning I also give yogurt and cut up fruit a few times a week.
What can I do for this 1 that is giving the bum eggs in random places?
Keep them confined to the coop/run for a few days, might help establish laying in the nests and up her nutrition by cutting out the free range feeding. Cut out the corn scratch and maybe increase the yogurt frequency for it's added protein and calcium.

New layers can take up to a month or so to get things smoothed out..so give it some time too.

Thanks. I thought keeping them confined would be the response but they sure won't like it. They are cussing at me in the morning if I am late letting them out. My gray especially is very vocal. Maybe I'll try confining during the day and only let out from 5:30 pm (when I get off work) to sunset.

Thanks. I thought keeping them confined would be the response but they sure won't like it. They are cussing at me in the morning if I am late letting them out. My gray especially is very vocal. Maybe I'll try confining during the day and only let out from 5:30 pm (when I get off work) to sunset.
Yeah well, too bad for them...lol.....be the head hen!
I know ranging makes everyone happier, sometimes the predators too.
Sometimes confinement is necessary, so there should be enough space planned for it and they should get used to it, IMO.

Letting them out late in the day should be fine ,most the day inside should do the trick, tho new layers don't always lay during the day at first.

Last edited:
your hen who has never laid in 3 years is probably several years old or older...chickens will live a pretty long life...they just quit being productive...just like menopause for humans...

Back
Top Bottom