What if I can't turn them for two days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mountaintopchicken, Jul 22, 2010.

1. mountaintopchicken

mountaintopchicken Songster

May 23, 2007
    I've got hand turned eggs in the incubator and I have to travel for a family emergency. They were set a week ago. I won't be able to turn them for about a day and a half. The only alternative I have is to try to take the incubator with me plugged into the car cigarette lighter (I have an inverter).

Do you think they will make it if I don't turn them for that long? Leaving them at home seems preferable to trying to travel with them.

2. CedarRidgeChicks

CedarRidgeChicks Songster

May 5, 2009
    Adair Co.Ky
    I am by no means an authority on egg turning but I had a similar situation in Feb. I turned them just before we left, made sure the bator came back up and adjusted and turned them as soon as I walked in the door; I had a good hatch around 60-70% on shipped eggs. I have read on here of some that forgot theirs for longer and still had good results.

3. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    You can probably leave them for that amount of time- my concern is if you end up having to stay longer because it's a family emergency. Is there a neighbor you can trust to come by if you can't make it back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by