What if my neighbors don't like my coop?!

We live in the county- so really, there are not a whole lot of laws. I think the only one is to have the coop so many feet from a residence, which it would be between 150-175 feet. I am going to just knock on the door, introduce myself, and say hey- this is what were planning on doing... any thoughts?

They have grandkids, so I think they might enjoy watching them :)

These are the things we were thinking of when we thought about asking their opinion. We know they can smell, as we had chickens before. However, we had a much smaller run and way more hens. Our yard is VERY hilly, so this spot would work best. The other spots in the yard are just not good. I wish I could have it closer to our house, because I will have to haul water out there multiple times a day- which will be a pain. We are in the country so, there are a lot of people with animals. So we will see how it goes. I'll keep this thread updated :)

I wasn't saying ask their permission. I was saying meet them and feel them out. So many folks are afraid to go talk to their neighbors about anything. Used to be when you moved to a new place, meeting the neighbors was a little ritual. Now, folks move and six months later they're on here posting about how they need to go out of town but don't know anyone local to watch their birds. Not cause everyone they know refused, but because they haven't met anyone local. I just don't get that. At least introduce yourself to your neighbors, and I like to exchange phone numbers so they can reach me in case there's an emergency. When you have animals, you just never know when one may get out or there's something else at your place that needs attention. My neighbors The Pot Growers have called us when our dogs got out and I was grateful. Pretty much all the interaction we have with them besides a friendly wave when we're both out working.

I agree that 175 feet is far enough away there should be no issue. Fences and landscaping can always be utilized to block line of sight, dampen sound and potential odors, etc. I also fervently believe if you're legal to have specific livestock on your property, neighbors should not be able to prevent that. But it's still a good idea to at least meet your neighbors and assess them as future friends.

I agree- there are trees and bushes along the property line. And I was wondering too why we have not met the neighbors. When I was a kid, the neighborhood came to your house and introduced themselves. The week we moved in, the people across the street came over and stole things from the yard, saying the previous people promised them the stuff (they also go to our church
th.gif
) The guy next door, never introduced himself, but plows our driveway in the winter
thumbsup.gif
and we've not met the people behind us. I guess it's time to make that happen. I wish some things were still like they used to be- we don't see a whole lot of hospitality anymore
hmm.png

Sad, isn't it. I've found that having chickens is a great catalyst for meeting neighbors. We lived in our house for 2 years before we met any of the adult neighbors. We met a little boy in the neighborhood b/c he'd come down with his fishing pole in the spring, and try to "catch fish" in the ditch across from our driveway! When we finally did meet one neighborhood family, it opened up the whole neighborhood for us. Unfortunately, they all moved on. People get so busy with work. It's rare to see anyone out enjoying their yard.

Sad, isn't it. I've found that having chickens is a great catalyst for meeting neighbors. We lived in our house for 2 years before we met any of the adult neighbors. We met a little boy in the neighborhood b/c he'd come down with his fishing pole in the spring, and try to "catch fish" in the ditch across from our driveway! When we finally did meet one neighborhood family, it opened up the whole neighborhood for us. Unfortunately, they all moved on. People get so busy with work. It's rare to see anyone out enjoying their yard.
Our neighbors are different... The people across the street are rude liars. They came over during our inspection and claimed "they had stuff in the house" that they had to get. We had to change the locks because they had a key. They took a pretty big, but not permanent, windmill from the back yard. They came over to make sure we knew "that in this neighborhood, we keep our dogs in our own yards. And we all use garbage company "X" so we can all have our cans out on the same day".... Well guess whose dog is ALWAYS in our yard? They are just rude. And they lie all the time. The guy next to us is nosey- almost too nosey, and a little creepy. But he plows our driveway without us having to ask, so I guess its okay :) . And the people in back we have not met yet- they are the ones we're worried about. Times have changed. It makes me sad. And I am not even an "old-timer" so to speak.. Im 26 and thinking wondering what happened to our culture!

Back
Top Bottom