what if we have a bunch of roos?

bethandjoeync

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
Iron Station, NC
We are just starting our little flock and have 16 4 day chicks. 6 we know are pullets, but we don't know what breed yet. the other 10 or assorted reds. I am worried that half of them will be roos (got them from TS). we really didn't plan to get roos in the first place but someone told us that having at least one with keep the hens calmer (but second guessing this statement after reading more on this site) we live out in the country but have a few neighbors that are close in proximity to the hen house. my question is, do red roos make good eatin'??

I think all roos make good eatin', but some get more meaty, and sooner, than others. I've eaten mixed-breeds, standard breeds, and the quick-growing meat breeds. To me, they're all good, but some taste more like store-bought chicken than others. That's not always a good thing -- I have grown to prefer the more genuine flavor & texture of home-grown chicken, but it can be an acquired taste.

There are ways to raise, process, prepare & cook your home-grown birds to get the best results. Much has been discussed here before, but feel free to ask all your unanswered questions. You're smart to be preparing your Plan B right now for all the roos you *might* end up with. No matter where you get your chicks, or how reliably you think they've been sexed, it's always good to know what your plans will be for any roos you get that you don't want to keep.

I would pen the roos you don't want from the rest at about 5 months old. Then around early or late October butcher them. They will make great chicken-n-dumplings, chicken noodle soup, chicken salad or any dish that requires slow cooking over a few hours.
Feed them a heavy dose of cracked corn the last month to obtain a good layer of fat, that makes an excellant broth.

By the way, my experience is that hens seem to be happier without a rooster pestering them all day long.

Back
Top Bottom