What in the world is she doing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BigRednRock, Jul 10, 2010.

1. BigRednRock

BigRednRock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2010
    my cornish hen Lil Bit does this everyday. all my hens have worked hard on diggin up this tree stump
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    looks like she is taking a nice dust/dirtbath........Chickens love it and it helps them get rid of some external parasites

3. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Yup. Completely natural. [​IMG]

4. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    i have a dark cornish .. she is 5 weeks old...i got the best video of her doing the exact same thing just yesterday...dirt bath...she was loving it

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  5. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I love to watch my hens take dirt baths! They weem happy. My little girls- about 11 weeks old- like to bathe in the shavings. The other day, after the big girls left the coop (it's big with a sandy dirt floor that they love to dig in), the little girls quickly hopped into the indentation that was left. It was so funny to see all 4 of them attempting a dirt bath. When I first started putting grit in their cage, they liked to play it it too. Silly birds![​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair &amp; Feathers

Plus, if it's really hot, they dig depressions just to lay in the cooler soil, just like dogs!

7. edithbunker

edithbunker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    farmington valley , CT
    totally normal, mine do this every day about 5 pm. its so funny to watch![​IMG]

8. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yep she is bathing.When I used to have all the bird's I did before We had a fence line of pothole's Especialy under tree area's.Now I only have a couple of hole's and I have grass inside my yard this time Weeee [​IMG].Some of flighty one's get over but they really haven't bothered much yet.DH has been debating letting the layer's out to free range day.They have a run but it is picked clean of grass now.If they would stay up there would be ok.But I know they will find thier way to house yard my plant's my grass and my 2 bantam coop's down here.I'll take them some grass TY.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by