Songster
11 Years
Jul 3, 2008
Christmas, Florida
I went to get my daily 2 eggs on Friday and found this
hugh.gif

oooooh-1.jpg

thud.gif

It seems to have yoke and whites int them and looks the it was starting out to be an egg?? and did not make it ? or maybe one of my younger RIR are practicing the egg making thing...:eek::eek:

It has been pretty hot here now that we are finally drying up...

Last edited:
The pic is too small. All I see is goo. The egg does have a yolk? Sometimes you'll get yolkless eggs that just have lots of whites. Sometimes you get an egg and a half that has extra of something or even double yolks. Not every egg comes out perfect and with your own flock you'll find lots of odd things. They candle store bought eggs and remove the imperfect ones for other uses so you don't see them.

Last edited:
My silkies laid something like that when they first started. It was only on egg, but it did look similar.
Hey, it's a big job getting that egg laying thing right-practice makes perfect!
wink.png

I think these are the soft shell eggs I've been hearing about with the heat over the summer!?

I've seen a lot about the heat being so bad they're getting mushy eggs. I bet its just a fluke. Did you get anymore like it since? Perhaps giving them more oyster shell would help?

Raise chickens long enough and you'll see all sorts of strange things. Strange because for so long for so many poeple the image of an egg has been a perfect, white, standard sized orb found in a grocery store. These weird things happen. This may be the first time but it won't be the last time you see some very strange, odd, weird shaped things come out of a hen.

Never seen a double type but many of the soft ones when they are just starting, OR stressed from something like heat, moving, fright..Mine are starting to lay now & I find the shelless ones around. I got one from 1 of my dutch leghorns that had extra shell chunks all over it..OUCH!! They have a good diet & plenty of oyster shell, yogurt, cheese so not worried. Takes time to get the kinks out of the system. Pretty amazing that we get as many perfect eggs as we do considering! Jody

Back
Top Bottom