What in the world??

7littlebirds

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 20, 2012
I have a two year old black star hen. She has overall been healthy her whole life.
But lately she has been acting weird. She will come inside the hen house and walk very low to the ground. When she goes to take a bite of food she sometimes closes her eyes, pulls her neck in close to her body, gets low to the ground, and backs up really fast. It's hard to explain. But it really isn't normal. She doesn't seem to do it as much in the morning time or when she is out in the run.
I believe it was Monday she ate her bedtime snack of cooked spinach and cooked corn and she did this thing were she moves her neck up and sideways really fast like she is trying to swallow. She has done that before and has always gotten over it. She only did it a couple times that night. Her crop gets pretty big during the daytime but does empty overnight.
I haven't gotten a good look at her droppings but I am wondering if maybe she has worms? She hasn't had an egg in awhile. Could it be an impacted egg? I just can't figure it out. It is just bizarre. She has seemed in pretty good spirits. Singing. Eating and drinking. But she also was eating grass this afternoon like she was ravenous. I am completely at the end of my rope.
hit.gif
I can't figure it out. Does anyone have ANY ideas??

Thanks!

Pulling neck in close to her body could be capillary worms in the crop or esophagus. Worm her with safeguard liquid goat wormer 1/2cc orally undiluted for 5 days straight. Toss eggs in the garbage 2 weeks after the last dosing.

When ever I read up on worms it says symptoms include diarrhea, disheveled appearance, weight loss, and decreased activity. She is experiencing none of these. Would it hurt to try her on wormer if she doesn't have worms?

Back
Top Bottom