What is a good incubator and place to order eggs?

briana1975

Songster
10 Years
Feb 23, 2009
Carleton Mi.
I am looking into trying to hatch eggs. TSC has an incubator that runs about $42.00. I do not know the name of it but it is a still air model. What kind of incubator do you guys think is a good one for a beginner? I would like to hatch at least a dozen or 2 at a time. The next question is where is a good place to get hatching eggs from. I would like to try some breeds we do not have. I really would like some feather footed chicks or Specked Sussex?

The incubator you saw at TSC was the Little Giant. Plenty of people figure out how to pull off ok hatches in the Little Giants, but if you can spend a bit more money I would go with something a little better and that has a fan. The Little Giant will likely require a lot of babysitting. I recommend the HovaBator Genesis (1588). It is good for a beginner--it comes with a pre-set thermostat. You shouldn't have to anything but add eggs, add water, and plug it in.
smile.png
If you can live without the turner (which is quite do-able, only my Sportsman turns eggs for me--I've had a couple of styro bators and never had a turner in them) for around $120. Cutler's supply is a good place to order it from online.

When you have your incubator up & running and are ready for eggs, the Buy/Sell/Trade forum here on BYC is a great place to find eggs. You can post a "wanted to buy" thread for the breeds you are looking for--you should have no trouble finding what you need. There is even a feedback resource for sellers/buyers now, so you can check the feedback on sellers before you buy, too.

Good luck!
smile.png

Yes, the Hovabator 1588 Costs more, but oh is it worth it. Sometimes I even forget I'm incubating, because I don't have to baby sit it, Like I had to with the Little Giant (The One you saw a TSC) All I gotta do in add water every couple of days!

What do you guys mean by having to babysit the Little Giant incubator? I bought one from TSC along with an automatic turner. I have not yet had an oppotunity to use it so I am curious to know about any difficulties I might have with it.

I think what they mean by babysitting is keeping track of temps and humidity. I am constantly checking and adjusting mine. It would be so great to get something that I could just put the eggs in and only have to turn eggs or add water.

Every time I would turn around, that thing would have a temp spike
barnie.gif
And in the afternoon, when the sun would start coming down, the house would get just the littlest bit warmer and the thing would spike to 104! I bought the Hovabator Genesis after using the Little Giant for 1 week, and I have not had 1 temp issue with the 1558, in fact I have not had any issues. If I didn't work from home, I would have fried my eggs, because I could not adjust the temp every hour, on the Little Giant.

If you decide to return the Little Giant, you can keep the turner, as it fits in the 1588 with no issues.

It makes no difference where you order your eggs from if they have to go through the mail, it makes for iffey hatches. try to get eggs that you can pick up locally.. there probably is someone from BYC within a short drive from you..

Back
Top Bottom